Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thankful

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class William J. Johnston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 17-19, 1944, near Padiglione, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. On 17 February 1944, near Padiglione, Italy, he observed and fired upon an attacking force of approximately 80 Germans, causing at least 25 casualties and forcing withdrawal of the remainder. All that day he manned his gun without relief, subject to mortar, artillery, and sniper fire. Two Germans individually worked so close to his position that his machinegun was ineffective, whereupon he killed 1 with his pistol, the second with a rifle taken from another soldier. When a rifleman protecting his gun position was killed by a sniper, he immediately moved the body and relocated the machinegun in that spot in order to obtain a better field of fire. He volunteered to cover the platoon's withdrawal and was the last man to leave that night. In his new position he maintained an all-night vigil, the next day causing 7 German casualties. On the afternoon of the 18th, the organization on the left flank having been forced to withdraw, he again covered the withdrawal of his own organization. Shortly thereafter, he was seriously wounded over the heart, and a passing soldier saw him trying to crawl up the embankment. The soldier aided him to resume his position behind the machinegun which was soon heard in action for about 10 minutes. Though reported killed, Pfc. Johnston was seen returning to the American lines on the morning of 19 February slowly and painfully working his way back from his overrun position through enemy lines. He gave valuable information of new enemy dispositions. His heroic determination to destroy the enemy and his disregard of his own safety aided immeasurably in halting a strong enemy attack, caused an enormous amount of enemy casualties, and so inspired his fellow soldiers that they fought for and held a vitally important position against greatly superior forces.

Musician Willie Johnston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on unknown, at unknown. His citation reads:

Date and place of act not on record in War Department.

Chief Boatswain’s Mate Andrew Jones (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the US Ironclad. His citation reads:

Served as chief boatswain's mate on board the U.S. Ironclad, Chickasaw, Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Although his enlistment was up, Jones volunteered for the battle of Mobile Bay, going on board the Chickasaw from the Vincennes where he then carried out his duties gallantly throughout the engagement with the enemy which resulted in the capture of the rebel ram Tennessee.


Thankful Thursday

As I may have already told you, I had a great time this past weekend. I was surrounded by some great friends and the weather was perfect. The house looked great and I believe a good time was had by all. I am very thankful for my parents and cousins who let us use the house and, of course, for my friends who were able to enjoy it with me.

Along those lines, I am extra thankful for our former Nanny, Jessie. While we were off having fun, Jessie was at our house watching our 5 children (yes, I’m including Maverick and Scooby). This was something the girls (and Scooby) have been looking forward to since early August. If I’m not mistaken, everything was great… that first night. After that, Susie got a stomach bug and was sick all Saturday. At some point during the day, Daniel got a tick on his neck. Then Mary Ruth got sick at some point (Saturday night/Sunday morning). On top of all of that, Jessie had to clean our house and rake our yard (though sources tell me Mary Ruth did most of the yard work… that’s good to know). To top it all off, Jessie got caught whatever it was that Susie had and missed work Monday and Tuesday. It’s not easy to find someone you can trust to watch your kids when they are well… I’m very thankful we have someone we can trust to take care of our kids even when they are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment