Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, February 8, 2013

Flashing Waaaay Back...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant John W. Knox (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 9, 1874, at Upper Wichita, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Technical Sergeant Yeiki Kobashigawa (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 2, 1944, in the vicinity of Lanuvio, Italy. His citation reads:

Technical Sergeant Yeiki Kobashigawa distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 2 June 1944, in the vicinity of Lanuvio, Italy. During an attack, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa's platoon encountered strong enemy resistance from a series of machine guns providing supporting fire. Observing a machine gun nest 50 yards from his position, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa crawled forward with one of his men, threw a grenade and then charged the enemy with his submachine gun while a fellow soldier provided covering fire. He killed one enemy soldier and captured two prisoners. Meanwhile, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa and his comrade were fired upon by another machine gun 50 yards ahead. Directing a squad to advance to his first position, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa again moved forward with a fellow soldier to subdue the second machine gun nest. After throwing grenades into the position, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa provided close supporting fire while a fellow soldier charged, capturing four prisoners. On the alert for other machine gun nests, Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa discovered four more, and skillfully led a squad in neutralizing two of them. Technical Sergeant Kobashigawa's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.

Sergeant Matej Kocak (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18, 1918, near Soissons, France. His citation reads:

Also received the Army Medal of Honor. When the advance of his battalion was checked by a hidden machinegun nest, he went forward alone, unprotected by covering fire from his own men, and worked in between the German positions in the face of fire from enemy covering detachments. Locating the machinegun nest, he rushed it and with his bayonet drove off the crew. Shortly after this he organized 25 French colonial soldiers who had become separated from their company and led them in attacking another machinegun nest, which was also put out of action.


Well I hope all of you are happy with the kids who signed to play football at your favorite school. And I hope they all turn out to be just as good as the “experts” say they’ll be.

We’re looking at teaming up with an upstate blog for a series of posts sometime in March. I don’t have many details at this point… just keep reading and you’ll see it when it’s posted.


For our Flashback Friday segment today and next week, we'll be looking at pictures taken the day after Mary Ruth's birthday last year by my friend and personal photographer Alicia Pugh. If you are on facebook, make sure you check out (and "like") her page Brave for Dave... it's a page updating her husband Dave's battle with cancer. Powerful stuff. Anyway, here are a few pics from that photo shoot...


Flashback Friday
Out at a park on James Island - Austin, Allison, Meredith, Susie, Ansley, Mary Ruth, Leah and Daniel

Austin, Daniel, Mary Ruth and Meredith - Note Daniel reaching for his Mommy

In order of age - Allison, Leah, Ansley, Austin, Meredith, Mary Ruth, Susie and Daniel... oh Daniel

Happy because he's with his Mommy

Mary Ruth, Leah, Mom, Daniel, Allison, Dad, Susie, Austin, Ansley, Meredith - Note Mom holding on to Daniel as tight as she can to keep him from jumping down

The whole family - Susie, me, Daniel, The Wife, Mary Ruth, Ansley, Mom, Leah, Brent, Meredith, Teresa Lynn, Dad, Cougar, Allison, Austin, Sonny

Me, Sonny, Dad, Teresa Lynn - See if you can find where Mom is...

Perhaps my favorite picture - Daniel and Austin on a bench at Mom and Dad's house

The grandkids at Mom and Dad's house - Daniel, Meredith, Mary Ruth, Allison, Leah, Susie, Ansley, Austin...

No comments:

Post a Comment