Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Please give!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Engineer’s Cook James Mifflin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, on 5 August 1864. Stationed in the immediate vicinity of the shell whips which were twice cleared of men by bursting shells, Mifflin remained steadfast at his post and performed his duties in the powder division throughout the furious action which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Torpedoman First Class John Mihalowski (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 23, 1939, in the area at sea of the sinking of the U.S.S. Squalus. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the rescue and salvage operations following the sinking of the U.S.S. Squalus on 23 May 1939. Mihalowski, as a member of the rescue chamber crew, made the last extremely hazardous trip of the rescue chamber to attempt the rescue of any possible survivors in the flooded after portion of the Squalus. He was fully aware of the great danger involved, in that, if he and the other member of the crew became incapacitated, there was no way in which either could be rescued. During the salvage operations Mihalowski made important and difficult dives under the most hazardous conditions. His outstanding performance of duty contributed much to the success of the operations and characterizes conduct far above and beyond the ordinary call of duty.

Captain L. Wardlaw Miles (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 14, 1918, near Revillon, France. His citation reads:

Volunteered to lead his company in a hazardous attack on a commanding trench position near the Aisne Canal, which other troops had previously attempted to take without success. His company immediately met with intense machinegun fire, against which it had no artillery assistance, but Capt. Miles preceded the first wave and assisted in cutting a passage through the enemy's wire entanglements. In so doing he was wounded 5 times by machinegun bullets, both legs and 1 arm being fractured, whereupon he ordered himself placed on a stretcher and had himself carried forward to the enemy trench in order that he might encourage and direct his company, which by this time had suffered numerous casualties. Under the inspiration of this officer's indomitable spirit his men held the hostile position and consolidated the front line after an action lasting 2 hours, at the conclusion of which Capt. Miles was carried to the aid station against his will.


How sad would it be if we didn’t have our happy memories? My mind is filled with happy memories (some might even be real). There’s some good people out there doing good work fighting Alzheimer’s. Click here and give some money to help them out. Thank you!

We only have a couple more weeks before the new season of NCIS starts! I’m just as excited as you are (unless you aren’t excited… then I’m waaaaay more excited than you are).


Picture Tuesday

Sometimes more food gets on Daniel's face than in his mouth...
Oh... and the spoon is just something to hold while he eats with his other hand.
The Wife, Mary Ruth and Susie trying to teach Daniel how to speak
The view from the 3rd floor of a house out on Folly (on the river side) that I cleaned this summer.
This is what I usually see when I get out of the shower to get ready for work.  Susie, Scooby and Maverick
I'm not sure how he sleeps like this, but he does...
If you go to Sonny's blog, you'll find out the Cubs are now out of the NL Central race.  Here... I like to remember the good times when the Cubs were on top of the division.

No comments:

Post a Comment