Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, February 12, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REBECCA!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Paul A. Oliver (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 15, 1864, at Resaca, Georgia. His citation reads:

While acting as aide assisted in preventing a disaster caused by Union troops firing into each other.

Ordinary Seaman Anton Olsen (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the U.S.S. Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Olsen displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this period.

Captain Arlo L. Olson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 13, 1943, during the crossing of the Volturno River, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. On 13 October 1943, when the drive across the Volturno River began, Capt. Olson and his company spearheaded the advance of the regiment through 30 miles of mountainous enemy territory in 13 days. Placing himself at the head of his men, Capt. Olson waded into the chest-deep water of the raging Volturno River and despite pointblank machine-gun fire aimed directly at him made his way to the opposite bank and threw 2 handgrenades into the gun position, killing the crew. When an enemy machinegun 150 yards distant opened fire on his company, Capt. Olson advanced upon the position in a slow, deliberate walk. Although 5 German soldiers threw handgrenades at him from a range of 5 yards, Capt. Olson dispatched them all, picked up a machine pistol and continued toward the enemy. Advancing to within 15 yards of the position he shot it out with the foe, killing 9 and seizing the post. Throughout the next 13 days Capt. Olson led combat patrols, acted as company No. 1 scout and maintained unbroken contact with the enemy. On 27 October 1943, Capt. Olson conducted a platoon in attack on a strongpoint, crawling to within 25 yards of the enemy and then charging the position. Despite continuous machinegun fire which barely missed him, Capt. Olson made his way to the gun and killed the crew with his pistol. When the men saw their leader make this desperate attack they followed him and overran the position. Continuing the advance, Capt. Olson led his company to the next objective at the summit of Monte San Nicola. Although the company to his right was forced to take cover from the furious automatic and small arms fire, which was directed upon him and his men with equal intensity, Capt. Olson waved his company into a skirmish line and despite the fire of a machinegun which singled him out as its sole target led the assault which drove the enemy away. While making a reconnaissance for defensive positions, Capt. Olson was fatally wounded. Ignoring his severe pain, this intrepid officer completed his reconnaissance, Supervised the location of his men in the best defense positions, refused medical aid until all of his men had been cared for, and died as he was being carried down the mountain.


I’m pretty sure she doesn’t read my blog, but that won’t stop me from wishing my dear friend Rebecca a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! We hope she has a great day!


Did you see the end of the OSU/Texas Tech game on Saturday? An OSU player shoved a Texas Tech fan. The player has since been suspended for 3 games and there has been non-stop talk about how players should never hit fans and blah blah blah. I get it, you don’t want to start a riot and one way to not start a riot is to not engage the fans. At the same time, there are two sayings that I hate. 1 – The customer is always right. This saying could have only come from someone who never worked retail, because in all honesty, the customer is hardly ever right. 2 – The fans can yell what they want because they paid for their seat. It’s fine if you want to think that… as long as you realize that an asshole fan might get shoved or hit from time to time. I’ve never seen a player hit a fan, but I’ve seen plenty of times when a player probably should have hit a fan. Heck, there were probably times in college when I was the fan who should have been hit. From what I can tell, every school has a fan (or fans) who should probably be hit every now and then. I saw a large group of CSU football players try to start a fight with the Winthrop basketball team years ago (rumor is Coach Marshall told the football players to go find some help to make it a fair fight)… but nothing ever got out of hand. Anyway, back to this OSU player… the talk from the coach and AD is about how this is a “teaching” moment and all of that. The player apologized to the fan and his teammates and school and me and Jeremy and everyone else and said he accepted the punishment (or something like that)… which is great. BUT… I wouldn’t have done it. I would have stood up and said, “I apologize to my coaches and teammates for putting them in this situation. I accept the punishment given to me and look forward to getting back on the court and helping my team after my suspension is over”. I wouldn’t apologize to the fan. The fan was a grownass man (in his 50s) who should be embarrassed about calling a 18-20 year old kid a “piece of crap” (Which, while we’re talking about it, I’d bet good money that’s not what set the player off. I’m not saying the fan didn’t call him that… I’m just saying I’d bet he called him more than that). Bottom line is players shouldn’t shove fans and fans shouldn’t be shocked when players do shove them.


Sonny had a post last Friday where he talked about Richard Sherman and Peyton Manning. Go to his blog to see what he had to say (I agree with him on both). I know agreeing with Sonny doesn’t exactly make for “good blogging”, but when he’s right I don’t mind letting you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment