Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, June 8, 2014

John 7:24

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Donald D. Pucket (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 9, 1944, during the Ploesti Raid, Rumania. His citation reads:

He took part in a highly effective attack against vital oil installation in Ploesti, Rumania, on 9 July 1944. Just after "bombs away," the plane received heavy and direct hits from antiaircraft fire. One crewmember was instantly killed and 6 others severely wounded. The airplane was badly damaged, 2 were knocked out, the control cables cut, the oxygen system on fire, and the bomb bay flooded with gas and hydraulic fluid. Regaining control of his crippled plane, 1st Lt. Pucket turned its direction over to the copilot. He calmed the crew, administered first aid, and surveyed the damage. Finding the bomb bay doors jammed, he used the hand crank to open them to allow the gas to escape. He jettisoned all guns and equipment but the plane continued to lose altitude rapidly. Realizing that it would be impossible to reach friendly territory he ordered the crew to abandon ship. Three of the crew, uncontrollable from fright or shock, would not leave. 1st Lt. Pucket urged the others to jump. Ignoring their entreaties to follow, he refused to abandon the 3 hysterical men and was last seen fighting to regain control of the plane. A few moments later the flaming bomber crashed on a mountainside. 1st Lt. Pucket, unhesitatingly and with supreme sacrifice, gave his life in his courageous attempt to save the lives of 3 others.

Sergeant Hiram W. Purcell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 31, 1862, at Fair Oaks, Virginia. His citation reads:

While carrying the regimental colors on the retreat he returned to face the advancing enemy, flag in hand, and saved the other color, which would otherwise have been captured.

Lieutenant James J. Purman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

Voluntarily assisted a wounded comrade to a place of apparent safety while the enemy were in close proximity; he received the fire of the enemy and a wound which resulted in the amputation of his left leg.


Say a prayer for me, my baseball family and Coach Hatley tomorrow. The James Island Charter High School Board is meeting tomorrow night. Word on the street is that they are going to fire Coach Hatley (and a couple of other coaches… I hope their jobs are safe, too… but Coach Hatley is my coach, so that’s who I’m focused on. Players for the other guys can ask you to support them). Since this word got out, Facebook has been pretty busy (for me, at least). I won’t go into detail right now, because I like for my Sunday posts to focus mainly on the Bible Verse… but say a prayer. The Board meeting is tomorrow at 5:00. I will be there with Dad and some former players (some were my teammates, some played with Sonny). Maybe we can help Coach Hatley keep his job as the baseball coach. And if we can’t, at least we’ll go down swinging.


The I’m just sayin… Gospel Verse of the Week
John 7:24

Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment