Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, December 18, 2014

One week until Christmas!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Henry Schauer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 23-24, 1944, near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 23 May 1944, at 12 noon, Pfc. (now T/Sgt.) Schauer left the cover of a ditch to engage 4 German snipers who opened fire on the patrol from its rear. Standing erect he walked deliberately 30 yards toward the enemy, stopped amid the fire from 4 rifles centered on him, and with 4 bursts from his BAR, each at a different range, killed all of the snipers. Catching sight of a fifth sniper waiting for the patrol behind a house chimney, Pfc. Schauer brought him down with another burst. Shortly after, when a heavy enemy artillery concentration and 2 machineguns temporarily halted the patrol, Pfc. Schauer again left cover to engage the enemy weapons single-handed. While shells exploded within 15 yards, showering dirt over him, and strings of grazing German tracer bullets whipped past him at chest level, Pfc. Schauer knelt, killed the 2 gunners of the machinegun only 60 yards from him with a single burst from his BAR, and crumpled 2 other enemy soldiers who ran to man the gun. Inserting a fresh magazine in his BAR, Pfc. Schauer shifted his body to fire at the other weapon 500 yards distant and emptied his weapon into the enemy crew, killing all 4 Germans. Next morning, when shells from a German Mark VI tank and a machinegun only 100 yards distant again forced the patrol to seek cover, Pfc. Schauer crawled toward the enemy machinegun. stood upright only 80 yards from the weapon as its bullets cut the surrounding ground, and 4 tank shells fired directly at him burst within 20 yards. Raising his BAR to his shoulder, Pfc. Schauer killed the 4 members of the German machinegun crew with 1 burst of fire.

Private Martin E. Scheibner (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 27, 1863, at Mine Run, Virginia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily extinguished the burning fuse of a shell which had been thrown into the lines of the regiment by the enemy.

Private Benjamin W. Schenck (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party.


I need an assistant to hang out with me all day. Throughout any given day, I will think of about half a dozen things I’d like to talk about on here… but by the time I’ve got time to sit down and type, I’ve forgotten everything I’d like to talk about!

I will say that I know a lot of people don’t like Dick Vitale because of how he calls basketball games. I happen to like hearing him call games, but to each his own I guess. But like him or not, you have to respect the passion he has for cancer research. As far as I know, this passion started back when his friend Jim Valvano was fighting the disease. That was back in the early 1990s… and after over 20 years, he’s still raising money like his life depended on it. If you ever hear him talking about the disease, you can feel the passion he has… I’ve heard him talk about kids with cancer and I’ve heard the emotion in his voice. He doesn’t just want to find a cure for cancer… he needs to find one. If only we could all be so passionate about stuff like this, it wouldn’t be long before we ran out of diseases to cure…


Picture Thursday


Susie ready for school

I would like to tell you that one of the kids colored this picture, but they didn't.  I'd like to tell you that one of the kids asked The Wife to color this picture, but they didn't.  The Wife did this all on her own.  To be fair, she did do a good job...  

Backstage before singing in church

Susie taking some time to take a picture with a fan...

goofy picture

Susie's seat for the parade

A WWII Veteran in the parade

The Kids waiting for the train ride at the Festival of Lights on James Island

Lights of The Wife and Rebecca

The Wife and Rebecca standing by the picture they liked the most...

No comments:

Post a Comment