Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, July 25, 2015

5 years later…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private James Sweeney (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1864, at Cedar Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

With one companion captured the State flag of a North Carolina regiment, together with 3 officers and an ambulance with its mules and driver.

Ordinary Seaman Robert Sweeney (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 26, 1881, on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge, at Hampton Roads, Va., 26 October 1881, Sweeney jumped overboard and assisted in saving from drowning a shipmate who had fallen overboard into a strongly running tide. SECOND AWARD Serving on board the U.S.S. Jamestown, at the Navy Yard New York, 20 December 1883, Sweeney rescued from drowning A. A. George, who had fallen overboard from that vessel.

Landsman William Sweeney (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 15, 1880, on board the U.S.S. Jean Sands. His citation reads:

For jumping overboard from the U.S.S. Jean Sands, opposite the Navy Yard, Norfolk, Va., on the night of 15 June 1880, and rescuing from drowning a young girl who had fallen overboard.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


It doesn’t really get easier as time goes on. Or maybe it does… I don’t know. I know it doesn’t really hurt as much, so maybe that makes it easier. I am, of course, talking about MaMa’s death five years ago. It’s hard going from talking to someone almost every day to not getting to talk to her at all. For the most part, I have broken the habit of starting to dial her number when I get in my car to leave work… but every now and then I find myself doing it. I know life isn’t fair, but MaMa really wanted me to have a boy. Don’t get me wrong, she loved Mary Ruth and Susie… but she wanted her little boy to have his own little boy. We found out two weeks after MaMa died that The Wife was pregnant with Daniel. I try not to think about it… but it’s hard sometimes not to sit and think “If only she could have lived long enough to know I was having a boy”. But, I suppose, few loved ones ever live as long as we would like. Still, it would have been nice. There’s a saying that if you really want to keep something a secret, you shouldn’t tell it to anyone… but I can tell you that if you told MaMa a secret, you could rest easy knowing she wouldn’t tell anyone. I mean anyone. I still remember the last time I talked on the phone with her and I can still hear her voice. So I’ve got that going for me… which is nice.


Hey! My Labor Day Cousin Sally has started a blog about running! Check it out here. Like me, Sally knows a lot about running… unlike me, she actually likes to run. I don’t really get it, but I’ve learned that there are some things in life I’ll never understand. Anyway, go check out Sally’s blog. I hope it lasts longer than the other blogs I’ve told you about over the years…

No comments:

Post a Comment