Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, September 17, 2010

Football Friday...

Before we get to the predictions, I feel I must point you to the column in the paper today about my friend and former baseball teammate Tony Elliott. This column points to Tony as being a future head coach at Clemson. Let me say he would have the full support of I’m just sayin.... Don’t get me wrong, I like Dabo and I hope he has a long successful run at Clemson. But if the Tigers find themselves in need of a head coach then Tony would be a great choice. Many years ago (2003) my cousin Louis wrote a great piece about Tony for one of the Clemson gameday programs. The list included quotes from yours truly. Here are the quotes:

“What made Tony a great player was that he made guys around him play better,” said Greg Horres, a baseball teammate at James Island. “You see him out there busting his butt, giving everything he's got and it makes you want to give it all you've got. Then you hear bits and pieces about his childhood and hell, you go out there and try even harder.”

“The best thing is, all of this sports stuff is just a part of who he is,” said Horres. “He's got to be one of the smartest people I've ever known. On the field, off the field and in the classroom, Tony Elliott is a winner, plain and simple.”


All of what I said was (and still is) the truth. Tony has it all... he’s smart, athletically gifted, humble, and hard working. It is the opinion of the I’m just sayin... staff that Tony could have played baseball and basketball in college if he had wanted to. I have no doubt he is a great coach. Why? Because like I told Louis seven years ago... Tony Elliott is a winner, plain and simple.

Oh, something funny I noticed while re-reading that wonderful piece Louis wrote... When Tony was transferring away from the Air Force Academy, the University of Georgia didn’t want him because they questioned his smarts. Tony played his final Clemson season as a grad student with a degree in Industrial Engineering and a 3.5 grade point average. I wonder what AJ’s GPA is...

Friday Games
James Island vs. Wando... Both teams enter the game at 3-0, but only James Island will leave at 4-0. I’ll take the Trojans in a close 3 point win.

Ashley Ridge vs. West Ashley... Both teams are coming off losses, I look for Ashley Ridge to bounce back and pick up the 7 point win.

Summerville vs. Fort Dorchester... The Wife doesn’t want to hear this, but Summerville will take this one by 14.

Saturday Games
Clemson at #16 Auburn 7:00pm (ESPN)... Auburn should win. They are at home, they have a great QB and, really, a great team. I’ll say Clemson by 3.

#13 USC vs Furman 7:00pm (PPV)... The Revolutionary War Heroes should win. They are at home and they’ve got a great running back. But it is very hard for me to pick against a team that has Tony Elliott as a coach (even if he isn’t the head coach). I know it’s a long shot, but I’m predicting the upset with Furman winning by 3.

Charleston Southern vs. Mars Hill 1:30pm (no TV)... The Bucs will take this one with a 14 point win.

Sunday Games
Pittsburgh at Tennessee 1:00pm (CBS)... The Steelers will win another game without Big Ben at QB. I’m predicting a 6 point win for Pittsburgh.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Sylvester Antolak (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 24, 1944 near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy. His citation reads:

Near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy, he charged 200 yards over flat, coverless terrain to destroy an enemy machinegun nest during the second day of the offensive which broke through the German cordon of steel around the Anzio beachhead. Fully 30 yards in advance of his squad, he ran into withering enemy machinegun, machine-pistol and rifle fire. Three times he was struck by bullets and knocked to the ground, but each time he struggled to his feet to continue his relentless advance. With one shoulder deeply gashed and his right arm shattered, he continued to rush directly into the enemy fire concentration with his submachinegun wedged under his uninjured arm until within 15 yards of the enemy strong point, where he opened fire at deadly close range, killing 2 Germans and forcing the remaining 10 to surrender. He reorganized his men and, refusing to seek medical attention so badly needed, chose to lead the way toward another strong point 100 yards distant. Utterly disregarding the hail of bullets concentrated upon him, he had stormed ahead nearly three-fourths of the space between strong points when he was instantly killed by hostile enemy fire. Inspired by his example, his squad went on to overwhelm the enemy troops. By his supreme sacrifice, superb fighting courage, and heroic devotion to the attack, Sgt. Antolak was directly responsible for eliminating 20 Germans, capturing an enemy machinegun, and clearing the path for his company to advance.

Commander Richard Nott Antrim (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in April 1942 in Makassar, Celebes, Netherlands East Indies. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while interned as a prisoner of war of the enemy Japanese in the city of Makassar, Celebes, Netherlands East Indies, in April 1942. Acting instantly on behalf of a naval officer who was subjected to a vicious clubbing by a frenzied Japanese guard venting his insane wrath upon the helpless prisoner, Comdr. (then Lt.) Antrim boldly intervened, attempting to quiet the guard and finally persuading him to discuss the charges against the officer. With the entire Japanese force assembled and making extraordinary preparations for the threatened beating, and with the tension heightened by 2,700 Allied prisoners rapidly closing in, Comdr. Antrim courageously appealed to the fanatic enemy, risking his own life in a desperate effort to mitigate the punishment. When the other had been beaten unconscious by 15 blows of a hawser and was repeatedly kicked by 3 soldiers to a point beyond which he could not survive, Comdr. Antrim gallantly stepped forward and indicated to the perplexed guards that he would take the remainder of the punishment, throwing the Japanese completely off balance in their amazement and eliciting a roar of acclaim from the suddenly inspired Allied prisoners. By his fearless leadership and valiant concern for the welfare of another, he not only saved the life of a fellow officer and stunned the Japanese into sparing his own life but also brought about a new respect for American officers and men and a great improvement in camp living conditions. His heroic conduct throughout reflects the highest credit upon Comdr. Antrim and the U.S. Naval Service.

Corporal Andrew O. Apple (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Conspicuous gallantry as color bearer in the assault on Fort Gregg.

No comments:

Post a Comment