Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, September 10, 2010

Somebody said football, so I come running...

It’s Friday night so you know what that means... “MR and Daddy Camp Out In the Den Night!” Oh, and high school football. But before we get to football, let’s go over some other news.

I saw in the paper that David Ray Tant was granted parole. For those that don’t know, Tant pleaded guilty to 40 counts of illegally breeding fighting dogs. He was given a 30-year sentence, of which he has served 5 years and 10 months. Lucy, my first born dog, was used as a “bait dog” before she was rescued. She still, 8 years later, has scars from that point of her life. So, I don’t have a whole lot of love for people like Tant. I always thought the best punishment for people like this would be to tie them up and lock them in a room with all the dogs and let nature take its course. Still, there is a part of me (a small part) that believes in second chances. Almost 6 years in jail ain’t like a couple of weeks at summer camp, if you know what I mean. So let him out on parole... but if he does ANYTHING else... if he even LOOKS at a dog the wrong way, then he has to serve the rest of his sentence. And he has to dig holes in the Georgia clay.

Next on the list is the “minister” down in Florida who plans to burn copies of the Quran (or Koran) on September 11. I say “minister”, because I don’t really know anything about him. He calls himself Dr. ________, but that doesn’t really mean anything to me because I’ve called myself doctor before. I dare say the fact that he calls himself Reverend doesn’t mean much to me because that’s just a title that anyone can give themselves. Now, it could be that he really is these things... but I’m not ready to believe that yet. Anyway, here in America I’m pretty sure people have the right to burn any book they want. However, having the right to do something and being right in doing it are two different things. Really, I think this is just some guy trying to drum up a little exposure for his 50 member “church”. Listen, if he wants to do this... fine. It doesn’t really matter to me. To be honest, he could burn the Bible for all I care (it’s ok, I’ve got 2 of my own... 1 NIV and 1 KJV... which combined cost me less than half of 1 text book at CSU, but I digress). I wouldn’t recommend doing it... but that’s between him and God as far as I’m concerned. Some people will tell you that him burning a Koran (or Quran) will cause Muslims to start attacking innocent people. Here’s my thought on that, those people were going to do something like that anyway... if it wasn’t this, then it would be something else that would “set them off”. If Muslim leaders were to ask me for advice, I would tell them to ignore this guy. I would then tell them to visit ARC to find out a little something about Jesus. But mainly I would ignore him (the “minister”, not Jesus). When someone from CBS sticks a mic in your face and says what do you think about ________ burning the Quran (or Koran), just say “Who? Never heard of him”. What wouldn't be a good move, of course, is to start killing Americans (or Christians) because of what this guy does (if he goes through with it). That would be like people killing Muslims because of what other Muslims have done. Now, if they want to go after this guy... so be it. I wouldn't blame them.

We now move on to the issue of the “Ground Zero Mosque”. When researching this subject, I came across this little tidbit. Reading this, it seems the Cordoba House (the name of the building that apparently isn’t even really a mosque) is a block or two away from Ground Zero. In fact, looking at the map on the site from the above link, you can’t even see Ground Zero from this place. This debate is much like the “Alcohol sales on Sunday” debate in that I can easily argue both sides of the argument (and I’m not 100% sure which side is right... or if there even is a “right” side). I understand why people are against building it. But how far away is far enough? I say let them build it. Live and let live. On the other hand... with all the “bad blood” and all the fighting over this thing, it would probably be wise to try and seek some sort of compromise. Again, if Muslim leaders were to ask me for advice, I would tell them that while they do have the right to have their building there, that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do (and, of course, I would then tell them to visit ARC to find out a little something about Jesus). I would also tell them that if they do stick with their plan, don’t be shocked if bad things happen (much like the guy above who seems to be asking for trouble).

Hey, I saw on Yahoo! that Joe Montana said the movie Rudy wasn't 100% accurate. Well let me tell you that I am shocked (SHOCKED!) to find out movies don't always tell the whole (true) story. My next thought, in all honesty, is, "Who cares?". No offense to Rudy (the man), but did anyone really watch Rudy (the movie) to find out about Rudy (the man)? I didn't. I watched it because it's a good story (never forgetting that it was a "story"). Sure, it was BASED on a real life guy... but this blog is based on a real life guy (me) and even I don't believe everything I read here. My point is, don't try to kill a movie with a rather good message. I remember back at JI we called my friend Kurt "Rudy" because he was our 3rd string 1st baseman (fyi, high school baseball teams don't usually go 3 deep on the depth chart) but nobody on the team practiced harder than Kurt. I worked harder in practice than I probably otherwise whould have because of Kurt. He didn't get a lot of playing time, but I don't think we would have won as many games as we did without him on the team. Why did he work so hard? Because he wanted to play baseball at JI. So what if Rudy wasn't 100% accurate... that wasn't the point of the movie. The point was the message and (I think) the message was 100% accurate.

Lastly, I would like to mention a recent letter to the local newspaper here from a young man in Mt. Pleasant. He points out that the University of South Carolina’s nickname comes not “from the art of cockfighting” but instead comes from “the nickname given to the great Revolutionary War hero, General Thomas Sumter, who acquired the nickname ‘The Carolina Gamecock’ for his fierce fighting tactics”. The letter was well written and I’m sure this young man is correct with his history lesson. However, I must ask this question... why doesn’t the mascot look like a Revolutionary War hero? Why, when I saw the game on TV this past Thursday night (while being ticked off that the JI game wasn’t on... but I digress) did I see a bird (gamecock, perhaps?) wearing a spur? A while back a comedian (Dave Chappelle) had a bit that went something like this:
The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!" Which is true, gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform.

My point is this... USC might not have gotten its nickname from a fighting bird... but all it ever shows is a fighting bird. And let’s be honest here, I think we all know why they sell so many hats with school’s nickname on it (minus the “Game”). They should be ashamed. I’m just sayin...

Now, for the I’m just sayin... football predictions for this weekend:

Friday
James Island at Colleton County: JI by 3
Summerville at Goose Creek: Summerville by 6
Ashley Ridge at Stratford: Stratford by 14
Ft. Dorchester at St. John’s: Ft. Dorchester by 28

Saturday
#24 USC (congrats to Danny on the Gamecocks ranking) vs. #22 UGA (12:00pm on ESPN2) – The game is in Columbia... I think the Revolutionary War Hero’s take this one by 7.

Charleston Southern vs. Wofford (1:30pm) – I think CSU will pull off the upset... Charleston Southern by 3

Clemson vs. Presbyterian (3:30pm on ESPN3.com) – Clemson will win... the question is by how much? I’m saying the Tigers by 28.

Navy vs. Georgia Southern (3:30pm)– Navy needs to take advantage of trips to the Red Zone... Navy by 14.

Army vs. Hawaii (12:00pm) - Hawaii had a long way to go to get to this game and I don't think they'ed make that trip just to lose. Hawaii by 10.

Sunday
Steelers vs. Falcons (1:00pm) - Steelers by 6.

Dolphins at Bills (1:00pm) - Wildcat vs Spiller... It's Spiller Time. Bills by 7.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Peter Anderson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 19, 1865 at Bentonville, North Carolina. His citation reads:

Entirely unassisted, brought from the field an abandoned piece of artillery and saved the gun from falling into the hands of the enemy.

Private First Class Richard Beatty Anderson (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 1, 1944 during WWII. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 4th Marine Division during action against enemy Japanese forces on Roi Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, 1 February 1944. Entering a shell crater occupied by 3 other marines, Pfc. Anderson was preparing to throw a grenade at an enemy position when it slipped from his hands and rolled toward the men at the bottom of the hole. With insufficient time to retrieve the armed weapon and throw it, Pfc. Anderson fearlessly chose to sacrifice himself and save his companions by hurling his body upon the grenade and taking the full impact of the explosion. His personal valor and exceptional spirit of loyalty in the face of almost certain death were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Lance Corporal Richard A. Anderson (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 24, 1969 in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as an assistant team leader with Company E, in connection with combat operations against an armed enemy. While conducting a patrol during the early morning hours L/Cpl. Anderson's reconnaissance team came under a heavy volume of automatic weapons and machine gun fire from a numerically superior and well concealed enemy force. Although painfully wounded in both legs and knocked to the ground during the initial moments of the fierce fire fight, L/Cpl. Anderson assumed a prone position and continued to deliver intense suppressive fire in an attempt to repulse the attackers. Moments later he was wounded a second time by an enemy soldier who had approached to within 8 feet of the team's position. Undaunted, he continued to pour a relentless stream of fire at the assaulting unit, even while a companion was treating his leg wounds. Observing an enemy grenade land between himself and the other marine, L/Cpl. Anderson immediately rolled over and covered the lethal weapon with his body, absorbing the full effects of the detonation. By his indomitable courage, inspiring initiative, and selfless devotion to duty, L/Cpl. Anderson was instrumental in saving several marines from serious injury or possible death. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment