Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, December 3, 2010

Round 1 (part 1)

Before we get to the tournament, we at I’m just sayin... would like to say RIP Ron Santo. You were a great Cub.

We would also like to welcome Bliss Seabrook Short to our Labor Day family.

Don’t know if you saw this article yet. It was passed on to us by an alert reader (Sonny). If you have a daughter, we strongly recommend you read it. If you don’t have a daughter (or any children at all) it’s still pretty funny. So read it.

If you are in the Summerville Area tonight and/or tomorrow night, come out to Bethany UMC to see the Living Christmas Story. If you time it right, you’ll see me as an angel. Laugh if you want at the lacy wedding dress-type outfit I have to wear, but know that it’s one of the warmest costumes out there. That’s one reason I volunteer for that role. That, and I know that Miss Brenda is going to ask me to do it anyway... and who among us can tell her “no”? I know I can’t.

If you’re looking for a good book to read (and you always should be), we at I’m just sayin... highly recommend The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine and Lisa McCubbin (with a forward by Clint Hill). This gives you a look at the JFK assassination from the eyes of the Secret Service agents who were on the Kennedy detail (thus the title). I learned a good bit from it. And it was an easy read (which is always nice). You should read it.

And if you enjoy reading about someone else’s awkward moment... then this post by good I’m just sayin... friend Jenn is a must read.

Baby #3 Name Tournament: Just a reminder… I have decided to list the baby names we are thinking about, seed them, and have a tournament (much like the NCAA Tournament). You might have already seen some of these names... that’s ok. Just like the real tournament has teams that don’t really have a shot, this tournament will have names that don’t really have a shot. You need to know two things: 1. This isn’t a voting thing... your opinion doesn’t really matter. However, you are welcome to share what names you like. 2. We aren’t 100% sure yet what name we’re going to pick, but we’ve narrowed it down. The names will be broken down into 4 regions. I can’t think of any funny names, so we’ll just call them Region I, Region II, Region III, and Region IV. Here are the results from the first round games in Region I and Region III:

REGION I
1 Gregory Winfield Horres, Jr.
16 Xi Winfield Horres
No real surprise here. Xi is my Kappa Sigma pledge class and while it would be a great name, there was no way The Wife would agree to it.

8 Elliott Winfield Horres
9 Jeremiah Winfield Horres
These 8/9 match-ups can usually go either way. Jeremiah is a nice Biblical name but Elliott is the last name of good I’m just sayin... friend Tony Elliott. I wouldn’t mind having a son grow up to be like him.

5 Edward Winfield Horres
12 Jacob Winfield Horres
Mary Ruth has wanted to name this boy Jacob since before we knew we were having a boy. It’s to the point that the name Jacob had no real chance. But it’s a good name for your child. ;)

4 Daniel Gregory Horres
13 Dallas Winfield Horres
One of the few non-Winfield names in the tournament. It just wasn’t good enough to move on.

6 Nathanael Winfield Horres
11 Ethan Winfield Horres
Ethan was a good name, but Nathanael was just a little better.

3 Matthew Winfield Horres
14 Rodney Winfield Horres
It seems naming our son after the winningest QB in Clemson history isn’t all that important to The Wife.

7 Christopher Winfield Horres
10 Wade Winfield Horres
It also seems The Wife doesn’t care to name our son after one of my Dad’s childhood friends.

2 Anthony Winfield Horres
15 Ezekiel Winfield Horres
I think Ezekiel is a cool Biblical name. The Wife doesn’t.

REGION III
1 Daniel Winfield Horres
16 Maximus Winfield Horres
Let’s face it, Maximus was a long-shot at best.

8 Gary Winfield Horres
9 Isaac Winfield Horres
And another Old Testament name bites the dust.

5 Paul Winfield Horres
12 John Gary Horres
It would seem The Wife is also against naming our son after a member of our Labor Day family.

4 Mason Winfield Horres
13 Clark Winfield Horres
Mason was the one name that The Wife liked that I didn’t.

6 Philip Winfield Horres
11 Marcus Winfield Horres
It’s not that we didn’t like this name... it’s just that we didn’t like it enough.

3 Michael Winfield Horres
14 Darius Raj Horres
I liked this one because the first two initials would be DR... so I could call him "doctor" (the same way I call Mary Ruth “mister”). That wasn’t good enough for The Wife... though she was tempted by the name Darius... at least a little bit.

7 Samuel Winfield Horres
10 Simon Winfield Horres
Just opened up the door to too many “Simon Says” jokes.

2 Jackson Winfield Horres
15 Prince Winfield Horres
The one fell apart when I realized The Wife wouldn’t let me change my name to King.

So there you have it... the first round results from Regions I and III. Check back tomorrow or Sunday (probably Sunday... but maybe tomorrow) to see the first round results from Regions II and IV. You know what, I’ve got a lot going on tomorrow... check back on Sunday. Then again, how many of you read this over the weekend anyway? Just look at it on Monday when you get into work like you usually do. Ok, I’m sorry... you don’t tell me when to post so I shouldn’t tell you when to read it. Just check back every 30 minutes this weekend until you see the next post.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop won their game at VMI last night 88-82 in OT. Their next game is tomorrow night at Liberty (7:00pm).

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Saturday
Dorman vs. Byrnes (at Williams-Brice Stadium) 12:00pm – I’m going to ride this Dorman bandwagon all the way to a State Championship. I’m picking Dorman to win by 7.

#18 USC vs. #2 Auburn 4:00pm (CBS) – This is for the SEC Championship. With the recent news regarding Cam Newton, rumors are flying in to I’m just sayin... that family members for Marcus Lattimore and Alshon Jeffery will/should be asking USC for a raise soon. It would seem the NCAA isn’t 100% sure of its own rules. Probably because it has way too many (and roughly 95% of them are stupid... that’s just my correct opinion). Anyway, I think this will be a close game. The key, in my humble opinion, will be for USC to let Auburn take an early lead. Auburn seems to play its best football when it’s behind, so USC needs to make sure Auburn stays in front (until the end, of course). On the flip side, Auburn needs to make sure USC scores first. Not only for the reasons previously mentioned, but also because USC seems to do great against Tigers who take an early 7-0 lead. So, if both coaching staffs take my advice, we should see a record number of first down punts tomorrow. Regardless, I think we’ll see a close game. In the end, I think the weapons that the Revolutionary War Heroes have will be too much for the high priced... er, high powered Auburn offense. I’m picking USC to win this one by 3. After winning the College World Series and beating Clemson in back to back seasons for the first time since most of my readers have been alive... it just seems like it’s the Revolutionary War Heroes’ year. The bad news for you USC fans out there is that a win will put your team in a bowl game played after December 31... so expect to get blown out in that game. All the more reason to enjoy tomorrow as much as possible.

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Baltimore 8:20pm (NBC) – This should be a blood bath. I predict James Harrison will be fined after this game (unless the NFL just goes ahead and fines him now for tackling someone too hard). I also predict the Steelers will win this one by 3.

Miami vs. Cleveland 1:00pm (CBS) – Cleveland rocks... but not in this game. Miami will win this one by 7.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Dennis Bell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 30, 1898 at Tayabacoa, Cuba. His citation reads:

Voluntarily went ashore in the face of the enemy and aided in the rescue of his wounded comrades; this after several previous attempts at rescue had been frustrated.

Captain of the Afterguard George Bell (US Navy) received the Medal of Honor for his actions on November 7, 1861 while serving on the USS Santee. His citation reads:

Served as pilot of the U.S.S. Santee when that vessel was engaged in cutting out the rebel armed schooner Royal Yacht from Galveston Bay, 7 November 1861, and evinced more coolness, in passing the 4 forts and the rebel steamer General Rusk, than was ever before witnessed by his commanding officer. "Although severely wounded in the encounter, he displayed extraordinary courage under the most painful and trying circumstances."

Captain Harry Bell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 17, 1899 near Porac, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Led a successful charge against a superior force, capturing and dispersing the enemy and relieving other members of his regiment from a perilous position.

No comments:

Post a Comment