Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Round 2 (Part 1)

Yesterday, I’m sure you know, was the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. I was a little disappointed that the History Channel didn’t have an all day marathon of shows focused on this extremely important event in US (and dare I say, World) History. I’m not even sure they had anything on about it (though I’m sure they did at some point during the day... I must have missed it). I did see some stories in the paper from people who were there when it happened. The sad thing is that the number of “first hand” accounts left of that day are getting fewer and fewer each year. I can’t even begin to imagine what it was like to be there that day. To see powerful ships sink in a matter of minutes. To have a nice Sunday morning turn into the last day you’ll see a buddy. It was an event big enough to get the country to sprint towards war.

Today, I’m sure you know, is the 30th anniversary of John Lennon being murdered. For some of my younger readers, John Lennon was in a little group from across the pond called The Beatles. The Beatles did ok for themselves. Anyway, his death might be most remembered for how it was first announced (by Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football). For what it’s worth, I like The Beatles as a group and I like the solo work all of them have done (maybe not all of it... but I at least like some of the solo work each has done). I’d say Paul is my favorite Beatle, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t like Lennon’s work. I’ll admit that after about a minute or so of Give Peace a Chance I’m ready to punch someone in the face... but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate his other work. And I think he would have been better off without Yoko... but that’s just me (and a lot of other people... so I guess it’s not just me, but I’m will to accept that me and millions of other people could be wrong about this one thing... I’m not saying it’s likely that we’re wrong, I’m just saying it’s possible). His death did lead to some pretty good tribute songs: Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny) by Elton John, Here Today by Paul McCartney, All Those Years Ago by George Harrison, and other songs I’m sure I’m forgetting).

Oh, speaking of Monday Night Football... I’m sure you saw the news this week that “Dandy Don” Meredith died at the age of 72. He had left MNF before I remember watching it, but from what I hear he was great at what he did. Here is a nice little blog post about Don Meredith (mainly about his time with the Cowboys).

Baby #3 Name Tournament: Now for Round 2 for Regions I and III. The winners here will move on to the Sweet 16:

REGION I
1 Gregory Winfield Horres, Jr.
8 Elliott Winfield Horres
Elliott just wasn’t a strong enough name to overcome Greg, Jr.

5 Edward Winfield Horres
13 Dallas Winfield Horres
I still couldn’t sell The Wife on my Texas theme idea.

6 Nathanael Winfield Horres
3 Matthew Winfield Horres
The was a close match-up with Nathanael just not doing enough to move on.

7 Christopher Winfield Horres
2 Anthony Winfield Horres
Another CW name taken off the list by The Wife. It also didn’t help when she realized the name came from Chris Gaynor (former Winthrop PG).

REGION III
1 Daniel Winfield Horres
8 Gary Winfield Horres
The best thing Gary had going for it was it would give the boy the same initials as me (without naming him after me or Dad). The Wife didn’t mind the idea... but she did mind the name.

12 John Gary Horres
13 Clark Winfield Horres
Seems The Wife didn’t want to name our son after a Chevy Chase movie character.

6 Philip Winfield Horres
3 Michael Winfield Horres
I like the name Philip... and sometimes I think that’s all it takes for The Wife to dislike a name. I’m just sayin...

7 Samuel Winfield Horres
2 Jackson Winfield Horres
Some friends in our Sunday School class just had a boy and named him Samuel, so that removed the name from our list.

Winthrop Update: The Eagles lost to UNCC last night. Their next game is Sunday at home vs. Jacksonville.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Leslie Allen Bellrichard (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 20, 1967 at Kontum Province Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Acting as a fire team leader with Company C, during combat operations Pfc. Bellrichard was with 4 fellow soldiers in a foxhole on their unit's perimeter when the position came under a massive enemy attack. Following a 30-minute mortar barrage, the enemy launched a strong ground assault. Pfc. Bellrichard rose in face of a group of charging enemy soldiers and threw hand grenades into their midst, eliminating several of the foe and forcing the remainder to withdraw. Failing in their initial attack, the enemy repeated the mortar and rocket bombardment of the friendly perimeter, then once again charged against the defenders in a concerted effort to overrun the position. Pfc. Bellrichard resumed throwing hand grenades at the onrushing attackers. As he was about to hurl a grenade, a mortar round exploded just in front of his position, knocking him into the foxhole and causing him to lose his grip on the already armed grenade. Recovering instantly, Pfc. Bellrichard recognized the threat to the lives of his 4 comrades and threw himself upon the grenade, shielding his companions from the blast that followed. Although severely wounded, Pfc. Bellrichard struggled into an upright position in the foxhole and fired his rifle at the enemy until he succumbed to his wounds. His selfless heroism contributed greatly to the successful defense of the position, and he was directly responsible for saving the lives of several of his comrades. His acts are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

Captain of the Afterguard W.H. Belpitt (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 7, 1884 while serving on the USS Monocacy. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Monocacy, Foochow, China, 7 October 1884. Jumping overboard from that vessel on the morning of this date, Belpitt sustained, until picked up, a Chinaman who had been thrown into the water by the capsizing of a canoe.

Master Sergeant Roy P. Benavidez (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 2, 1968 West of Loc Ninh, Vietnam. His citation reads:

Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam. On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army. After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requested emergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire. Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crewmembers and to assess aircraft damage. Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt. Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, and head. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter crashed. Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight. Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft. On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft. Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment