Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, March 14, 2012

One more year! One more year!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Ralph E. Dias (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 12, 1969 in Que Son Mountains, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

As a member of a reaction force which was pinned down by enemy fire while assisting a platoon in the same circumstance, Pfc. Dias, observing that both units were sustaining casualties, initiated an aggressive assault against an enemy machine gun bunker which was the principal source of hostile fire. Severely wounded by enemy snipers while charging across the open area, he pulled himself to the shelter of a nearby rock. Braving enemy fire for a second time, Pfc. Dias was again wounded. Unable to walk, he crawled 15 meters to the protection of a rock located near his objective and, repeatedly exposing himself to intense hostile fire, unsuccessfully threw several hand grenades at the machine gun emplacement. Still determined to destroy the emplacement, Pfc. Dias again moved into the open and was wounded a third time by sniper fire. As he threw a last grenade which destroyed the enemy position, he was mortally wounded by another enemy round. Pfc. Dias' indomitable courage, dynamic initiative, and selfless devotion to duty upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service to his country.

Corporal Charles H. Dickens (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 20, 1869 at Chiricahua Mountains, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Private First Class Douglas E. Dickey (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 26, 1967 in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. While participating in Operation Beacon Hill 1, the 2d Platoon was engaged in a fierce battle with the Viet Cong at close range in dense jungle foliage. Pfc. Dickey had come forward to replace a radio operator who had been wounded in this intense action and was being treated by a medical corpsman. Suddenly an enemy grenade landed in the midst of a group of marines, which included the wounded radio operator who was immobilized. Fully realizing the inevitable result of his actions, Pfc. Dickey, in a final valiant act, quickly and unhesitatingly threw himself upon the deadly grenade, absorbing with his body the full and complete force of the explosion. Pfc. Dickey's personal heroism, extraordinary valor and selfless courage saved a number of his comrades from certain injury and possible death at the cost of his life. His actions reflected great credit upon himself, the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.


As you can tell from the title of this post, I’m ready for the ACC to add a year of probation to the University of North Carolina football team. The high and mighty Tar Heels got caught by the NCAA cheating. If you think back to the early 1980’s when Clemson was in a little trouble with the NCAA, it was then UNC AD (now ACC Commissioner) John Swofford who lead the charge to have the ACC add an extra year of probation to the Tigers punishment (just based on what the NCAA found out in their investigation). It seems the holier than thou North Carolina (and other schools, not named Maryland or Wake Forest, too gutless to say no to UNC) didn’t want Clemson hurting their great academic reputation just to win some silly football games. Well, well, freaking well… look who is in trouble now (for a number of things… including, GASP, academic fraud)! Friends, like you I was shocked (SHOCKED) when Sonny emailed me this link the other night letting me know about the probation UNC now faces. So now I would like to call on John Swofford to step up and add an extra year of probation to what the NCAA handed down. If he is too pathetic to do this, then I must insist he fall on his sword. If he does not own a sword, one will be provided for him. Or he can just resign as the commissioner of the ACC (a job he should have never had anyway).


The I’m just sayin… Quote of the Week

Many forms of government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time. – Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment