Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, April 12, 2012

Another One Bites The Dust…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private David Edwards (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865, at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Captain of the Top John Edwards (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the USS Lackawanna. His citation reads:

As second captain of a gun on board the U.S.S. Lackawanna during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, on 5 August 1864. Wounded when an enemy shell struck, Edwards refused to go below for aid and, as heavy return fire continued to strike his vessel, took the place of the first captain and carried out his duties during the prolonged action which resulted in the capture of the prize ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Sergeant First Class Junior D. Edwards (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 2, 1951, near Changbong-ni, Korea. His citation reads:

Sfc. Edwards, Company E, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. When his platoon, while assisting in the defense of a strategic hill, was forced out of its position and came under vicious raking fire from an enemy machine gun set up on adjacent high ground, Sfc. Edwards individually charged the hostile emplacement, throwing grenades as he advanced. The enemy withdrew but returned to deliver devastating fire when he had expended his ammunition. Securing a fresh supply of grenades, he again charged the emplacement, neutralized the weapon and killed the crew, but was forced back by hostile small-arms fire. When the enemy emplaced another machine gun and resumed fire, Sfc. Edwards again renewed his supply of grenades, rushed a third time through a vicious hail of fire, silenced this second gun and annihilated its crew. In this third daring assault he was mortally wounded but his indomitable courage and successful action enabled his platoon to regain and hold the vital strongpoint. Sfc. Edwards' consummate valor and gallant self-sacrifice reflect the utmost glory upon himself and are in keeping with the esteemed traditions of the infantry and military service.


He counted on Maverick to be passive. He counted wrong. And that is why Rat #7 is dead. He trapped the rat in the corner of the fence and killed it. The rat ended up wedged in the fence… I’ll admit I didn’t have a lot of fun getting it out and throwing it into the woods, but Susie was watching me so I had to man-up and do it. Word is Scooby assisted Maverick on this one, but I’m sure it was an accident on his part. He probably had no idea what they were doing… he was just trying to keep up with Maverick. Oh well, at least he tried.


Thankful Thursday

Today I would like to say how thankful I am for my cousin Alan. You will remember, of course, that Alan was my only relative smart enough to follow me to Winthrop. Anyway, the reason I am thankful for Alan is that we are always able to count on him when we need him. You see, there are times like this past weekend when we go out of town. Problem is, when we go out of town we have to leave our dogs at home. Sometimes, if we’re just gone for a day or two, we’re able to get some people to stop by and let them out… but if we’re going to be gone for an extended amount of time, we call Alan. Even though he works crazy hours for a local news station and also works some nights hosting trivia at various places, he still helps us out. He comes and stays at our house and takes care of the dogs as if they were his. I know he treats them well, because they are always happy to see him come and always sad to see him go. It might be hard to people without pets to understand, but it’s GREAT to know we can go out of town and know that the dogs are taken care of. And for the record, I’m also thankful for the people who help us when Alan can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment