Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, April 6, 2012

The Masters

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private James Dunlavy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 25, 1864 at Osage, Kansas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in capturing Gen. Marmaduke.

Private First Class Parker F. Dunn (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 23, 1918 near Grand-Pre, France. His citation reads:

When his battalion commander found it necessary to send a message to a company in the attacking line and hesitated to order a runner to make the trip because of the extreme danger involved, Pfc. Dunn, a member of the intelligence section, volunteered for the mission. After advancing but a short distance across a field swept by artillery and machinegun fire, he was wounded, but continued on and fell wounded a second time. Still undaunted, he persistently attempted to carry out his mission until he was killed by a machinegun bullet before reaching the advance line.

Quartermaster William Dunn (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 24-25, 1864 and January 13-15, 1865 on board the USS Monadnock. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Monadnock in action during several attacks on Fort Fisher, 24 and 25 December 1864; and 13, 14, and 15 January 1865. With his ship anchored well inshore to insure perfect range against the severe fire of rebel guns, Dunn continued his duties when the vessel was at anchor, as her propellers were kept in motion to make her turrets bear, and the shooting away of her chain might have caused her to ground. Disdainful of shelter despite severe weather conditions, he inspired his shipmates and contributed to the success of his vessel in reducing the enemy guns to silence.


Well The Masters is underway… which means more talk about what a “travesty” it is that Augusta National doesn’t have women members (that we know of). First, I don’t think their member list is public… so there is a chance a woman is a member already. But honestly, I’d like to believe that they still don’t have one. Why would I like to believe that? Because I think a private club should get to decide who they have as members. And even if I didn’t think that before, that stuff with Martha Burke a few years ago would make me think that. Remember her? She was going to “force” Augusta National to admit a woman member by leading a boycott of all of the sponsors of The Masters. How did that work, you ask? NOT TOO GOOD! The good ol’ fellas at Augusta National said, “You want to boycott the sponsors? Tell you what… we aren’t going to have any sponsors this year. BOOM!” I think we all learned a very valuable lesson that year… you can’t force rich (and I mean truly RICH) men to do anything. Another reason I’m not big on this whole “women should be members” thing is that it’s not like every guy has a shot at becoming a member. I’m pretty sure you have to be in the 1% before they even think about letting you in. Maybe I’m wrong… maybe it’s like the Muni down the road (just without women members), but I doubt it. Lastly, I don’t think this is really an issue that will help advance women in this world. You want to advance the cause of women preachers, I’m there with you. You want to say women can be leaders in business, I’m a believer. I’ve worked for more women in my life than I have men. I am not against the thought of a woman president (provided it’s the right woman). At first I wasn’t big on women being at The Citadel, but it’s a state college… so I get it. But when it comes to women being members of Augusta National, I’m on the side with the rich guys wanting a club for themselves. And I hope those rich guys (who, I’m sure, are reading this blog) give me a little something for the effort, if you know what I mean.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The athlete we are going to look at today is James Island great Sam Moore. Sam played one year with Sonny at James Island before Sonny graduated and went on to play in the College World Series with The Cit… wait a minute… Sonny went to Clemson. Anyway, after Sonny graduated Sam ended up playing with some great players at JI but they had a different coach each year and I don’t think they had any great seasons. After JI, Sam went on to play at the College of Charleston. I believe he was on the second team that the College had after starting (or was it re-starting?) their baseball program. Sam was a star closer from 1992-95 who pitched in 72 games and had 23 saves before signing with the Florida Marlins as a free agent. He has been inducted into the College of Charleston Wall of Fame and was one of those great players who really helped lay the foundation for the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment