Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pictures from the Walk…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Charles H. Heyl (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 28, 1876, near Fort Hartsuff, Nebraska. His citation reads:

Voluntarily, and with most conspicuous gallantry, charged with 3 men upon 6 Indians who were entrenched upon a hillside.

Second Lieutenant Robert John Hibbs (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 5, 1966, at Don Dien Lo Ke, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. 2d Lt. Hibbs was in command of a 15-man ambush patrol of the 2d Battalion, when his unit observed a company of Viet Cong advancing along the road toward the 2d Battalion's position. Informing his command post by radio of the impending attack, he prepared his men for the oncoming Viet Cong, emplaced 2 mines in their path and, when the insurgents were within 20 feet of the patrol's position, he fired the 2 antipersonnel mines, wounding or killing half of the enemy company. Then, to cover the withdrawal of his patrol, he threw hand grenades, stepped onto the open road, and opened fire on the remainder of the Viet Cong force of approximately 50 men. Having rejoined his men, he was leading them toward the battalion perimeter when the patrol encountered the rear elements of another Viet Cong company deployed to attack the battalion. With the advantage of surprise, he directed a charge against the Viet Cong, which carried the patrol through the insurgent force, completely disrupting its attack. Learning that a wounded patrol member was wandering in the area between the 2 opposing forces and although moments from safety and wounded in the leg himself, he and a sergeant went back to the battlefield to recover the stricken man. After they maneuvered through the withering fire of 2 Viet Cong machine guns, the sergeant grabbed the dazed soldier and dragged him back toward the friendly lines while 2d Lt. Hibbs remained behind to provide covering fire. Armed with only an M-16 rifle and a pistol, but determined to destroy the enemy positions, he then charged the 2 machine gun emplacements and was struck down. Before succumbing to his mortal wounds, he destroyed the starlight telescopic sight attached to his rifle to prevent its capture and use by the Viet Cong. 2d Lt. Hibb's profound concern for his fellow soldiers, and his intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Private Joseph C. Hibson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 13-14, 1863, near Fort Wagner, South Carolina. His citation reads:

While voluntarily performing picket duty under fire on 13 July 1863, was attacked and his surrender demanded, but he killed his assailant. The day following responded to a call for a volunteer to reconnoiter the enemy's position, and went within the enemy's lines under fire and was exposed to great danger. On 18 July voluntarily exposed himself with great gallantry during an assault, and received 3 wounds that permanently disabled him for active service.


I would like to take a minute here to thank all of you who donated to my Walk to End Alzheimer’s. For any of you who would like to donate (again, if you want), you can still Go here to give.  A post walk donation from my dear friend (and Alzheimer’s expert) Dr. Warachel Faison put team I’m just sayin… back in the Top 5! That’s what I’m talking about! This was my first year breaking away from my old office and being the captain of a team… so a Top 5 ranking feels great. Let me start by thanking my team: The Wife and my current co-workers and friends Felecia, Shawanda, and Amanda. Together we were able to raise $2,286! I would also like to thank all of the people who donated (either directly to me or gave to the team… If you donated to The Wife or someone else on my team, read their blog for your thank you). So…

THANK YOU

Mom and Dad

Jeremy

My Labor Day Cousin Jane

My good friend Michael

My friend and former co-worker Stephanie K.

Danny (yes, that Danny)

My cousin Louis

The 2011 I’m just sayin… Fan of the Year Ashley

My dear friend and former co-worker Dr. Faison

KC from Our Life

Sonny and his family
Ok, since I know The Wife won’t start a blog just to say thanks… I’ll also go ahead and thank The In-Laws and Teresa Lynn for their donations.

While I’m at it… A special thanks goes out to Sonny, Danny (yes, that Danny) and Teresa Lynn for using their I’m just sayin… nicknames when donating (though I guess Teresa Lynn just used her actual name… but still).


Picture Tuesday

The family about to walk...

The kids ready for the walk... all 3 are wearing my shirts from past walks.


If you look past The Wife, you'll see some patients from a local nursing home... many of them have Alzheimer's.

People walking in front of me...

People walking behind me... There was a pretty big crowd walking this year.



Again... THANK YOU FOR GIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment