Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, October 18, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUSIE!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Freeman V. Horner (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 16, 1944, at Wurselen, Germany. His citation reads:

S/Sgt. Horner and other members of his company were attacking Wurselen, Germany, against stubborn resistance on 16 November 1944, when machinegun fire from houses on the edge of the town pinned the attackers in flat, open terrain 100 yards from their objective. As they lay in the field, enemy artillery observers directed fire upon them, causing serious casualties. Realizing that the machineguns must be eliminated in order to permit the company to advance from its precarious position, S/Sgt. Horner voluntarily stood up with his submachine gun and rushed into the teeth of concentrated fire, burdened by a heavy load of ammunition and hand grenades. Just as he reached a position of seeming safety, he was fired on by a machinegun which had remained silent up until that time. He coolly wheeled in his fully exposed position while bullets barely missed him and killed 2 hostile gunners with a single, devastating burst. He turned to face the fire of the other 2 machineguns, and dodging fire as he ran, charged the 2 positions 50 yards away. Demoralized by their inability to hit the intrepid infantryman, the enemy abandoned their guns and took cover in the cellar of the house they occupied. S/Sgt. Horner burst into the building, hurled 2 grenades down the cellar stairs, and called for the Germans to surrender. Four men gave up to him. By his extraordinary courage, S/Sgt. Horner destroyed 3 enemy machinegun positions, killed or captured 7 enemy, and cleared the path for his company's successful assault on Wurselen.

Drummer William H. Horsfall (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 21, 1862, at Corinth, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Saved the life of a wounded officer lying between the lines.

Gunner’s Mate James Horton (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 21, 1864, on board the USS Montauk. His citation reads:

Served as gunner's mate on board the U.S.S. Montauk, 21 September 1864. During the night of 21 September, when fire was discovered in the magazine lightroom of the vessel, causing a panic and demoralizing the crew, Horton rushed into the cabin, obtained the magazine keys, sprang into the lightroom and began passing out combustibles, Including the box of signals in which the fire originated.


Today we’d like to wish my sweet little Susie a VERY HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY!!! It seems like it was just yesterday that I was standing in that “hospital” (their word, not mine) holding The Wife’s right leg thanking God for the fact that it was Sunday and the room had a TV with a NFL game on. Even better, the Vikings were playing… so I didn’t have to worry about my Mother-in-Law giving me any dirty looks (she’s a Vikings fan… don’t ask why). Anyway, when all was said and done our sweet little girl joined us at 4:25pm weighing in at 8lbs, 9oz. while stretching out to 19 inches long. Happy Birthday Susie Grace!!! I love you!!!!


Thankful Thursday

I believe I’ve said this before but it is worth saying again, I’m pretty lucky in that I got to know 3 of my 4 grandparents before they passed away. I was lucky to have two of the best grandmothers anyone could hope to have. They were different, but both were great. So when The Wife got pregnant the first time and we found out we were having a girl, I tried long and hard to figure out a way to work Ruth and Susie into her name (and I also wanted a double first name like Mom has, if possible). I couldn’t really get the names to fit like I wanted and The Wife kind of wanted to use the name Mary because of her mom and grandmother, so we decided on Mary Ruth. Fast forward to 2009 and we are again finding out that we’re having a girl. This may have been the fastest we picked a name. I don’t think we even had a second choice. Susie Grace. It just seemed like the perfect name. It’s fun to sit and watch siblings grow and to see them have different personalities. I’m sure it’s like that for every parent. Heck, just look at me and my siblings… When we were growing up Teresa Lynn was sweet and loved everyone, Sonny was quiet enough that our parents probably thought he was dumb and I talked enough that our parents didn’t have to guess if I was dumb or not. My kids are also different… Mary Ruth is sweet and wants everyone to be happy. Right now, Daniel is just along for the ride… trying to keep his sisters from killing him (with kindness, of course). Susie just wants to be happy… if you’re happy to, that’s fine, but she’s going to make sure she’s happy. Sometimes she wants to play with others, but she’s also fine just playing by herself. Sometimes she’s sweet… but she’s also willing to crack the whip around our house if she feels like she needs to. We call her Sergeant Susie because she’s not afraid to bark out any orders to her brother and sister that we have given. It’s not uncommon for her to open the bathroom door and yell at Mary Ruth to get out of the shower NOW. She also tells Daniel when it is time to eat or clean up. She is able to make me laugh without really trying to… it’s a gift she has. And even though she loves her cousin Ansley waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than she loves me, I still love her very much and I can’t imagine how boring my life would be without her in it. She is a great daughter and for that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment