Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, October 29, 2012

Ouch

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private James W. Huff (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during the Winter of 1872-1873. His citation reads:

Gallant conduct during campaigns and engagements with Apaches.

Corporal Paul B. Huff (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 8, 1944, near Carano, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, in action on 8 February 1944, near Carano, Italy. Cpl. Huff volunteered to lead a 6-man patrol with the mission of determining the location and strength of an enemy unit which was delivering fire on the exposed right flank of his company. The terrain over which he had to travel consisted of exposed, rolling ground, affording the enemy excellent visibility. As the patrol advanced, its members were subjected to small arms and machinegun fire and a concentration of mortar fire, shells bursting within 5 to 10 yards of them and bullets striking the ground at their feet. Moving ahead of his patrol, Cpl. Huff drew fire from 3 enemy machineguns and a 20mm. weapon. Realizing the danger confronting his patrol, he advanced alone under deadly fire through a minefield and arrived at a point within 75 yards of the nearest machinegun position. Under direct fire from the rear machinegun, he crawled the remaining 75 yards to the closest emplacement, killed the crew with his submachine gun and destroyed the gun. During this act he fired from a kneeling position which drew fire from other positions, enabling him to estimate correctly the strength and location of the enemy. Still under concentrated fire, he returned to his patrol and led his men to safety. As a result of the information he gained, a patrol in strength sent out that afternoon, 1 group under the leadership of Cpl. Huff, succeeded in routing an enemy company of 125 men, killing 27 Germans and capturing 21 others, with a loss of only 3 patrol members. Cpl. Huff's intrepid leadership and daring combat skill reflect the finest traditions of the American infantryman.

Captain Eli L. Huggins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1880, at O’Fallons Creek, Montana. His citation reads:

Surprised the Indians in their strong position and fought them until dark with great boldness.


Make sure you check out Sonny’s last sermon for the year.

While it is true that I grew up a Clemson fan, I have started following USC a little more closely the past few years. Part of this is due to my friends Cory and Danny (yes, that Danny) and part of it is because I really like some of the players the Revolutionary War Heroes have brought in. One such player is Marcus Lattimore. I remember seeing him get hurt last season and thinking “Ouch, that’s gotta hurt”. It was a knee injury, no doubt, but one that unfortunately isn’t all that uncommon in football. When I saw him get hurt this past Saturday, I got sick to my stomach. I held out hope that somehow, someway, it wasn’t as bad as it looked at first. At the time, Danny (yes, that Danny) wanted to know if it was a knee injury or a broken leg. Honestly, it looked like both to me. I have seen 3 injuries in football that made me sick… LT breaking Joe Theismann’s leg, Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Tim Krumrie breaking his leg against the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XXIII and now this injury. This is why Daniel is going to be a punter. I don’t know if Lattimore will ever play football again. Then again, maybe he’ll recover and go on to have a long career in the NFL. Who knows… All I know is that I hope he’s able to recover and not have this be a problem for the rest of his life, because he seems to be a good guy. We at I’m just sayin… will be pulling for him.


The I’m just sayin… Weekly Weigh-In

Greg 237

Mary Ruth 49

Susie 28

Daniel 25

2 comments:

  1. Dear Greg,
    I've had no influence on your like of Gamecock football? I'm hurt.

    Ashley Fan of the Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear sweet Fan of the Year Ashley,

    Of course you have had an influence. It is because of you that I am allowed to be friends with Cory and thus influenced by him to like the Revolutionary War Heroes. I thought that was implied in my post.

    ReplyDelete