Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, November 21, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY J. MICHAEL GEOFFRY!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Robert H. Jenkins, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 5, 1969, at Fire Support Base Argonne, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gunner with Company C, 3d Reconnaissance Battalion, in connection with operations against enemy forces. Early in the morning Pfc. Jenkins' 12-man reconnaissance team was occupying a defensive position at Fire Support Base Argonne south of the Demilitarized Zone. Suddenly, the marines were assaulted by a North Vietnamese Army platoon employing mortars, automatic weapons, and hand grenades. Reacting instantly, Pfc. Jenkins and another marine quickly moved into a 2-man fighting emplacement, and as they boldly delivered accurate machine gun fire against the enemy, a North Vietnamese soldier threw a hand grenade into the friendly emplacement. Fully realizing the inevitable results of his actions, Pfc. Jenkins quickly seized his comrade, and pushing the man to the ground, he leaped on top of the marine to shield him from the explosion. Absorbing the full impact of the detonation, Pfc. Jenkins was seriously injured and subsequently succumbed to his wounds. His courage, inspiring valor and selfless devotion to duty saved a fellow marine from serious injury or possible death and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Seaman Thomas Jenkins (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 27, 1863, on board the USS Cincinnati. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Cincinnati during the attack on the Vicksburg batteries and at the time of her sinking, 27 May 1863. Engaging the enemy in a fierce battle, the Cincinnati, amidst an incessant fire of shot and shell, continued to fire her guns to the last, though so penetrated by shell fire that her fate was sealed. Serving bravely during this action, Jenkins was conspicuously cool under the fire of the enemy, never ceasing to fight until this proud ship went down, "her colors nailed to the mast."

Staff Sergeant Delbert O. Jennings (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 27, 1966, at Kim Song Valley, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Part of Company C was defending an artillery position when attacked by a North Vietnamese Army regiment supported by mortar, recoilless-rifle, and machine gun fire. At the outset, S/Sgt. Jennings sprang to his bunker, astride the main attack route, and slowed the on-coming enemy wave with highly effective machine gun fire. Despite a tenacious defense in which he killed at least 12 of the enemy, his squad was forced to the rear. After covering the withdrawal of the squad, he rejoined his men, destroyed an enemy demolition crew about to blow up a nearby howitzer, and killed 3 enemy soldiers at his initial bunker position. Ordering his men back into a secondary position, he again covered their withdrawal, killing 1 enemy with the butt of his weapon. Observing that some of the defenders were unaware of an enemy force in their rear, he raced through a fire-swept area to warn the men, turn their fire on the enemy, and lead them into the secondary perimeter. Assisting in the defense of the new position, he aided the air-landing of reinforcements by throwing white phosphorous grenades on the landing zone despite dangerously silhouetting himself with the light. After helping to repulse the final enemy assaults, he led a group of volunteers well beyond friendly lines to an area where 8 seriously wounded men lay. Braving enemy sniper fire and ignoring the presence of booby traps in the area, they recovered the 8 men who would have probably perished without early medical treatment. S/Sgt. Jenning's extraordinary heroism and inspirational leadership saved the lives of many of his comrades and contributed greatly to the defeat of a superior enemy force. His actions stand with the highest traditions of the military profession and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.


We would like to take a second here to wish my good friend and banker J. Michael Geoff a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! We hope Adrian and the boys make it a great one. (fyi... I picked out the Quote of the Week with J. Michael Geoff in mind).

We'd also like to say RIP to one of my Kappa Sigma brothers, Kelvin Redmond.  He wasn't at Winthrop when I joined the fraternity, but I did have a chance to meet and talk to him over the years.  I found him to be a good guy.  I know a lot of people who did know him well and I think they would agree with me.  The Winthrop chapter of Kappa Sigma (Nu-Upsilon) was founded on May 8, 1993.  We are coming up on our 20th anniversary... I believe Kelvin is the 3rd brother from our chapter to die.  He was older than me, but still far too young to die.  Matt Kelleher was the second brother to die a little over 5 years ago back in September of 2007.  The first was Brian Black, who died 10 years ago today.  Brian's Little Brother in Kappa Sigma was my Big Brother.  As I was telling Jeremy yesterday, I KNOW it's been 10 years since Brian died, but it just doesn't FEEL like it's been that long.  I can only hope those 3 died knowing how much they'd be missed.  RIP Brothers.


The picture quality isn't great, but I think this was taken outside at night before/during a party with a camera that wasn't great... so sue me.  Anyway, from L - R we have the late Brian Black, his little (my big) brother Jason Wheatley and me (with hair)



Now... Let's look at the quote that made me think of J. Michael Geoff...


The I’m just sayin… Quote of the Week

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Hubert H. Humphrey

No comments:

Post a Comment