Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 2, 2012

Robert Porcher...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Louis T. Hunt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Private Martin Hunt (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from June 20 – July 16, 1900, at Peking, China. His citation reads:

In the presence of the enemy during the battle of Peking, China, 20 June to 16 July 1900, Hunt distinguished himself by meritorious conduct.

Sergeant Charles A. Hunter (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

In the assault on Fort Gregg, bore the regimental flag bravely and was among the foremost to enter the work.



For those of you who can’t see that video… the offense was in the shotgun formation… the center has one of the worst snaps ever (it just kind of goes up in the air)… the DB intercepts the snap and returns it something like 80 yards for a TD. That kind of crap wouldn’t happen with Danny (yes, that Danny) snapping the ball.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The SC Athlete we are going to look at today is Robert Porcher. Porcher was born on July 30, 1969 in Wando, South Carolina. He played defensive end for Willie Jeffries at South Carolina State University. He played for the Detroit Lions his entire professional career. He retired before the 2004 season with 95.5 career sacks. Porcher has been involved in the Detroit community since his retirement. He has opened 3 successful businesses in Downtown Detroit: Detroit Breakfast House & Grill, Sweet Georgia Brown, and Seldom Blues.

During much of his 13-year playing career, he was one of the league's most productive and feared defensive ends. A first-round draft choice in 1992 from South Carolina State University, Porcher played in 187 games (third all-time in Detroit history), and set a team record with 95.5 quarterback sacks during his career. He led Detroit in sacks eight times (also a Detroit record). He also became the first Lion to record double-digit sack totals in four consecutive seasons (1996–99). Porcher earned trips to the Pro Bowl in 1998, 2000 and 2002. He also finished his career with 24 career games notching more than one sack. From 1996-01, Porcher garnered 68 sacks during that six-year period - which was the second-highest in the NFL during that span. His 673 career tackles are ranked seventh in Detroit Lions’ history.

Off the field, Porcher became actively involved in the community. His foundation for cancer research and relief fund raised thousands of dollars for programs at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center. The Lions annual Man of the Year award is named the "Robert Porcher Man of the Year" in honor of his tremendous contributions to the community, especially in Detroit.

Congrats to Robert Porcher for being our South Carolina Athlete You Should Know.


As always, thanks to Wikipedia for the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment