Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Congrats...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Frank Leslie (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 15, 1864, at Front Royal, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of colors of 3d Virginia Infantry (C.S.A).

Hospital Apprentice First Class Fred Faulkner Lester (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 8, 1945, on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Chain. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Medical Corpsman with an Assault Rifle Platoon, attached to the 1st Battalion, 22d Marines, 6th Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Chain, 8 June 1945. Quick to spot a wounded marine Iying in an open field beyond the front lines following the relentless assault against a strategic Japanese hill position, Lester unhesitatingly crawled toward the casualty under a concentrated barrage from hostile machineguns, rifles, and grenades. Torn by enemy rifle bullets as he inched forward, he stoically disregarded the mounting fury of Japanese fire and his own pain to pull the wounded man toward a covered position. Struck by enemy fire a second time before he reached cover, he exerted tremendous effort and succeeded in pulling his comrade to safety where, too seriously wounded himself to administer aid, he instructed 2 of his squad in proper medical treatment of the rescued marine. Realizing that his own wounds were fatal, he staunchly refused medical attention for himself and, gathering his fast-waning strength with calm determination, coolly and expertly directed his men in the treatment of 2 other wounded marines, succumbing shortly thereafter. Completely selfless in his concern for the welfare of his fighting comrades, Lester, by his indomitable spirit, outstanding valor, and competent direction of others, had saved the life of 1 who otherwise must have perished and had contributed to the safety of countless others. Lester's fortitude in the face of certain death sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Apprentice First Class William Levery (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the USS Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Levery displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.


Congrats to Louisville for winning the NCAA Tournament! I look forward to watching Winthrop win it next season.

As you know, I am a lifelong Cubs fan. I think the reason for this is that I was able to watch their games when I was growing up because they were played during the day. That, and Ryne Sandberg is my all-time favorite player. Winning is pretty much the one thing the Cubs have not been able to offer me over the years. Sure, there have been some good seasons here and there… but no World Series title yet in my lifetime. I am not 100% sure who Sonny likes. I believe he is a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals (at least he was when we were younger), but he might be an Atlanta Braves fan. Either way, we both have a soft spot in our hearts for the Braves as they are our “hometown” team. Because of the Tony Kornheiser Show, I have also started liking the Washington Nationals… but when push comes to shove, I’m a Cubs fan. Anyway, while we may cheer for different National League teams, Sonny and I have decided to unite and pick an American League team to pull for this season. I’ll let him explain who we are going to pull for and the reason we picked them. So make sure you check out Sonny’Side to find out which American League team is going to the World Series this season to lose to the Cubs.


Picture Tuesday
The Wife took this pic to let me know how Daniel was when she went to wake him up yesterday.

I'm not sure why he doesn't like his bed... I'd be willing to bet he sleeps on the floor more than he does in his bed.

Teresa Lynn sent this one to me (along with the next pic).  Mary Ruth spent some time with my Columbia side of the family last week.  Here she is with her cousins Ansley and Leah.

And here she is with Meredith.

"I'm sexy and I know it..."

It's not easy growing up with older sisters...

No comments:

Post a Comment