Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, March 6, 2015

Marching to Madness…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Staff Sergeant Curtis F. Shoup (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 7, 1945, near Tillet, Belgium. His citation reads:

On 7 January 1945, near Tillet, Belgium, his company attacked German troops on rising ground. Intense hostile machinegun fire pinned down and threatened to annihilate the American unit in an exposed position where frozen ground made it impossible to dig in for protection. Heavy mortar and artillery fire from enemy batteries was added to the storm of destruction falling on the Americans. Realizing that the machinegun must be silenced at all costs, S/Sgt. Shoup, armed with an automatic rifle, crawled to within 75 yards of the enemy emplacement. He found that his fire was ineffective from this position, and completely disregarding his own safety, stood up and grimly strode ahead into the murderous stream of bullets, firing his low-held weapon as he went. He was hit several times and finally was knocked to the ground. But he struggled to his feet and staggered forward until close enough to hurl a grenade, wiping out the enemy machinegun nest with his dying action. By his heroism, fearless determination, and supreme sacrifice, S/Sgt. Shoup eliminated a hostile weapon which threatened to destroy his company and turned a desperate situation into victory.

Colonel David Monroe Shoup (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 20-22, 1943, on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, and Gilbert Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of all Marine Corps troops in action against enemy Japanese forces on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands, from 20 to 22 November 1943. Although severely shocked by an exploding enemy shell soon after landing at the pier and suffering from a serious, painful leg wound which had become infected, Col. Shoup fearlessly exposed himself to the terrific and relentless artillery, machinegun, and rifle fire from hostile shore emplacements. Rallying his hesitant troops by his own inspiring heroism, he gallantly led them across the fringing reefs to charge the heavily fortified island and reinforce our hard-pressed, thinly held lines. Upon arrival on shore, he assumed command of all landed troops and, working without rest under constant, withering enemy fire during the next 2 days, conducted smashing attacks against unbelievably strong and fanatically defended Japanese positions despite innumerable obstacles and heavy casualties. By his brilliant leadership daring tactics, and selfless devotion to duty, Col. Shoup was largely responsible for the final decisive defeat of the enemy, and his indomitable fighting spirit reflects great credit upon the U.S. Naval Service.

Sergeant Frank Shubert (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of two markers.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


Ok, I see I’m going to have to do a little more to get you to donate to my Walk to End Alzheimer’s (and/or join my team)… so…

Join my team and/or donate by the end of the month and I will send you a personalized picture (of me, of course) with a handwritten thank you note. Now I will sit back and watch the money roll in…

Good luck to the Winthrop Eagles this weekend in the Big South Tournament! The Eagles are a 5 seed, but I think they’ve got a good chance at winning it all. We’ll see if they can pull it off…

Speaking of Winthrop… The Eagles beat a little team I like to call the Clemson Tigers in baseball this week. For those of you keeping score this school year, the Eagles have beaten Clemson in basketball and baseball the past few months.


I’m just sayin… Pictures

This is a baseball uniform I wore in the summer of 1996...

...it still fits.  Suck it, Sonny.

Daniel and Susie swinging

It doesn't happen that often anymore, but every now and then he sleeps on the floor...

He started playing... and before you know it, he was sleepiing

No comments:

Post a Comment