Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, March 1, 2015

Up From the Grave He Arose

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Coxswain William Shipman (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga in the attack upon Fort Fisher on 15 January 1865. As captain of No. 2 gun, stationed near the 100-pounder Parrott rifle when it burst into fragments, killing 8 men and wounding 12 more, Shipman promptly recognized the effect produced by the explosion and, despite the carnage surrounding them, and the enemy's fire, encouraged the men at their guns by exclaiming "Go ahead, boys! This is only the fortunes of war!"

Private John Shivers (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Minnesota. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Minnesota, in the assault on Fort Fisher, 15 January 1865. Landing on the beach with the assaulting party from his ship, Pvt. Shivers advanced to the top of the sandhill and partly through the breach in the palisades despite enemy fire which killed or wounded many officers and men. When more than two_thirds of the men became seized with panic and retreated on the run, he remained with the party until dark when it came safely away, bringing its wounded, its arms and its colors.

Private First Class William R. Shockley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 31, 1945, at Villa Verde Trail, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He was in position with his unit on a hill when the enemy, after a concentration of artillery fire, launched a counterattack.. He maintained his position under intense enemy fire and urged his comrades to withdraw, saying that he would "remain to the end" to provide cover. Although he had to clear two stoppages which impeded the reloading of his weapon, he halted one enemy charge. Hostile troops then began moving in on his left flank, and he quickly shifted his gun to fire on them. Knowing that the only route of escape was being cut off by the enemy, he ordered the remainder of his squad to withdraw to safety and deliberately remained at his post. He continued to fire until he was killed during the ensuing enemy charge. Later, 4 Japanese were found dead in front of his position. Pfc. Shockley, facing certain death, sacrificed himself to save his fellow soldiers, but the heroism and gallantry displayed by him enabled his squad to reorganize and continue its attack.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


The I’m just sayin… Hymn of the Week

Up From the Grave He Arose


Let me start by telling you this song was written by Robert Lowry (sometime in the 1800s). I’ve seen it listed under various other names (like Christ Arose and Low In The Grave He Lay). Unlike other hymns I’m going to talk about on here, this is one I don’t hear too often in church. In fact, I think I might have only heard it once during a church service. The reason I’m talking about it here is because I remember Dad singing it (kind of) when I was growing up. Let me set the stage… When I was real little, Dad closed in the garage and made it into an office. This quickly changed into Sonny’s room. By the time I was in high school, it was my room. So, more days than not, I remember waking up and walking up the 3 or 4 steps into the kitchen at which point Dad (who was already at the table eating breakfast) would sing (shout?) at the top of his lungs, “Up from the bed he arose…”. Sometimes this would make me laugh, sometimes it would make me roll my eyes… usually I was too tired to acknowledge it… but, I’ve never forgotten it.


Low in the grave He lay,
Jesus, my Savior,
Waiting the coming day,
Jesus, my Lord!

Refrain:

Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

Vainly they watch His bed,
Jesus, my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead,
Jesus, my Lord!

Refrain

Death cannot keep his Prey,
Jesus, my Savior;
He tore the bars away,
Jesus, my Lord!

Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment