Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, January 21, 2016

Happy Birthday to……… ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Saddler Otto Voit (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 25, 1876, at Little Big Horn, Montana. His citation reads:

Volunteered with George Geiger, Charles Windolph, and Henry Mechlin to hold an exposed position standing erect on the brow of the hill facing the Little Big Horn River. They fired constantly in this manner for more than 20 minutes diverting fire and attention from another group filling canteens of water that were desperately needed.

First Sergeant Leroy H. Vokes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 26, 1872, at Loupe Fork, Platte River, Nebraska. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Carpenter’s Mate Third Class Jacob Volz (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 24, 1911, on the Island of Basilan, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

While attached to the U.S.S. Pampang, Volz was one of a shore party moving in to capture Mundang, on the island of Basilan, Philippine Islands, on 24 September 1911. Investigating a group of nipa huts close to the trail, the advance scout party was suddenly taken under point-blank fire and rushed by approximately 20 enemy Moros attacking from inside the huts and other concealed positions. Volz responded instantly to calls for help and, finding all members of the scout party writhing on the ground but still fighting, he blazed his rifle into the outlaws with telling effect, destroying several of the Moros and assisting in the rout of the remainder. By his aggressive charging of the enemy under heavy fire and in the face of great odds, Volz contributed materially to the success of the engagement.


It’s my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If my math is correct (and there’s a 50/50 chance that it is), I turned 37 today. That means, of course, that 37 years ago on this date, the Steelers beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII. I am also lucky enough to share a birthday with the great Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. Not only that, but I recently found out the date has some significance with a couple of men portrayed in the HBO series (from a while back) Band of Brothers. The first is Major Richard D. Winters who was also born on this date in 1918. The other is First Lieutenant Harry F. Welsh who, sadly, died on this date in 1995 (while I was on a ski trip with my youth group at Ashley River Baptist Church… He wasn’t with us, I just remember that’s where I was that weekend because it was my first time away from MaMa after Da died). Anyway… Happy Birthday to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I have a great one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment