Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, January 28, 2016

RIP Glenn Frey and Abe Vigoda

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

General Jonathan M. Wainwright (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from March 12 – May 7, 1942, on the Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Distinguished himself by intrepid and determined leadership against greatly superior enemy forces. At the repeated risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in his position, he frequented the firing line of his troops where his presence provided the example and incentive that helped make the gallant efforts of these men possible. The final stand on beleaguered Corregidor, for which he was in an important measure personally responsible, commanded the admiration of the Nation's allies. It reflected the high morale of American arms in the face of overwhelming odds. His courage and resolution were a vitally needed inspiration to the then sorely pressed freedom-loving peoples of the world.

Lieutenant Richard Wainwright, Jr. (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21-22, 1914, during the engagements of Vera Cruz. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in battle, engagements of Vera Cruz, 21 and 22 April 1914. Lt. Wainwright was eminent and conspicuous in command of his battalion; was in the fighting of both days, and exhibited courage and skill in leading his men through action. In seizing the customhouse, he encountered for many hours the heaviest and most pernicious concealed fire of the entire day, but his courage and coolness under trying conditions were marked.

Private Allen Walker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 30, 1891, in Texas. His citation reads:

While carrying dispatches, he attacked a party of 3 armed men and secured papers valuable to the United States.


I know this is “old news”, but it’s never really official news until you read it here… Glenn Frey passed away on January 18, 2016. As one of the leaders (alongside Don Henley) of the hall of fame rock group the Eagles, Frey sang lead vocals on such great songs like Take it Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone and Heartache Tonight. He also had a successful solo career with a number of hit songs (my favorites being Smuggler’s Blues and The Heat is On). He also did a little acting with his most memorable role (for me, anyway) being the GM of the Arizona Cardinals in the film Jerry Maguire.

I am also sad to report that the actor Abe Vigoda has also passed away (January 26, 2016) at the age of 94. He was, I believe, best known for his role as Salvatore Tessio in the all-time great movie The Godfather and for his role as Detective Sgt. Phil Fish on the TV show Barney Miller.

In an effort to end this post on a happy note, I will leave you with a picture of Susie minus a tooth…


No comments:

Post a Comment