Today we are going to take a look at the Top 10 Tom Hanks movies. As with other Top 10 lists (with more options than just 10), I had to leave some good movies off. Still, I think I put together a pretty good list…
Top 10 Tom Hanks Movies
10. Turner & Hooch (1989) Roll: Det. Scott Turner; A great movie that co-stars a dog. Lots of laughs (and maybe a tear or two)…
9. The Da Vinci Code (2006) Roll: Professor Robert Langdon; Hanks helped bring to life on the big screen a great book.
8. A League of Their Own (1992) Roll: Jimmy Dugan; This movie had a lot of stars and Hanks was one of the best. His role as Jimmy Dugan was classic and his “There’s no crying in baseball!” rant is one of the best ever.
7. Charlie Wilson’s War (2007) Roll: Charlie Wilson; Based on a true story, Tom Hanks does a great job playing US Representative Charlie Wilson in this movie.
6. Cast Away (2000) Roll: Chuck Noland; Hanks did a great job acting most of the movie with nothing to play off of but a volleyball.
5. The Green Mile (1999) Roll: Paul Edgecomb; Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) stole this movie in my opinion, but Hanks was also great in it.
4. Saving Private Ryan (1998) Roll: Captain John H. Miller; My first memory of this movie is of my brother-in-law Brent telling me (after he saw it, but before I saw it), “It’s a chick-flick”. Sometimes people complain that a movie doesn’t “look real”… well this one looked all too real to me. I was in college at the time and I remember having nightmares after watching this thing. Hanks was perfect for the role of Captain Miller… a leader of men (even if he didn’t really want to be there).
3. Apollo 13 (1995) Roll: Jim Lovell; If all hell breaks loose while you’re up in space, the guy you want to be with is Tom Hanks. Or, at the very least, you want to be with Tom Hanks playing the role of Jim Lovell.
2. Forrest Gump (1994) Roll: Forrest Gump; This came real close to being number 1 on the list. It’s a great movie and Hanks does an outstanding job in the roll of Forrest Gump.
1. Big (1988) Roll: Josh Baskin; This may have been the first Tom Hanks movie I saw. It was pretty hard for me to decide which movie to put at #1 since he’s been in some great movies… but at the end of the day, I watch this movie and I believe that he is a 12 year old boy in the body of a 30 year old man. Hanks pulls it off so well that you don’t even notice it.
So there it is… there’s my list of the Top 10 Tom Hanks movies. I know I left off some good (perhaps great) movies, but that’s what happens when you’re making a Top 10 list of movies for a guy who has been in more than 10 great movies.