Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, January 21, 2017

Special day…

Today, of course, is a special day because it is Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson’s birthday. We honor him on here because he shares the same birthday as me (month and day… we were born in different years) AND because he had, perhaps, the best military nickname ever. If not the best, it’s at least in the conversation.

It’s also special because I turn 38 today. Unlike Sonny, I acknowledge my birthday because I don’t fear growing older. Why don’t I fear growing older? Because old men get to say whatever they want and people are willing to overlook at lot of (potentially) offensive things because that’s just “Old Mr. Horres” talking. I’m not exactly sure what age you have to reach to receive this ability, but I’m looking forward to reaching it. Of course, to take advantage of this superpower you have to actually talk. And that, friends, is why Sonny isn’t as excited to grow old as I am.

A little game I like to play every now and then when I’m on the phone with Mom or Teresa Lynn is to say something like “Yeah, I would have called you sooner, but Sonny called me and was just talking my ears off… I couldn’t get him off the phone”. They don’t want to believe me… they know I’m lying… but deep down they can’t help but think maybe I’m telling the truth. It’s fun…

I did tell Mom one time that if she really wanted to talk to Sonny, she should just hold her phone up to her ear and talk. It’s not that different from actually calling him and talking to him. Ha!

January 21st is significant for two other people (besides me and me and Stonewall Jackson)… Medal of Honor recipient Major Richard D. Winters was born on January 21, 1918 while Medal of Honor recipient First Lieutenant Harry F. Welsh died on January 21, 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment