Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, November 4, 2010

The I’m just sayin... All-Time Baseball Team

With the ending of the baseball season (ok, I’m a couple days late... sue me... by the way, congrats to the Giants) I decided it’s time to post the I’m just sayin... All-Time Baseball Team.

A major league team is made up of 25 players and so, the I’m just sayin... All-Time Baseball Team will have 25 players on it. This team will only include Major League Baseball Players (so, no, I will not be on the team). I decided to go with 10 pitchers and 15 position players. Before you read any more, let me say that I know I am leaving great players off of this team. There is really no way around that. So don’t write in saying “How could you leave So and So off!” I left him off because I thought of 25 other players I wanted on this team. If you like him so much, come up with your own team. Of course, you are welcome to write me and tell me who I left off this team that you think should be on it... just don’t be pissy about it. Also, you will notice I have “starters” and a “bench”... perhaps you think someone on the bench should start. Fine. You tell me Morgan should start over Sandberg, I will disagree... but if I “had” to start Morgan over Sandberg, you wouldn’t hear me cry about it. Most of these guys are in the Hall of Fame (or on their way there). Maybe some of them won’t make it, but I think they should. Also, I’m sure there will be some reader out there who will notice that my team is not made up of a full staff of pitchers (most teams usually have around 12, I believe)... that’s true. I decided to drop some pitchers for some extra position players. Already I have explained myself more than I feel I should, so without further ado...

Starting Pitchers
Greg Maddux
Bob Gibson
Warren Spahn
Nolan Ryan
Sandy Koufax

Bullpen
John Smoltz
Steve Carlton
Tom Glavine
Fergie Jenkins
Lee Smith

Starters
Johnny Bench, Catcher
Lou Gehrig, First Base
Ryne Sandberg, Second Base
Mike Schmidt, Third Base
Ozzie Smith, Short Stop
Ted Williams, Left Field
Joe DiMaggio, Center Field
Hank Aaron, Right Field

Bench
Joe Morgan, Infielder
Earnie Banks, Infielder
Ricky Henderson, Outfield
Mickey Mantle, Outfield
Jackie Robinson, Utility
Craig Biggio, Utility
Pete Rose, Utility

So there you have it. You can come up with a different team... but I doubt you can come up with a better team.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class John L. Barkley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 7, 1918 near Cunel, France. His citation reads:

Pfc. Barkley, who was stationed in an observation post half a kilometer from the German line, on his own initiative repaired a captured enemy machinegun and mounted it in a disabled French tank near his post. Shortly afterward, when the enemy launched a counterattack against our forces, Pfc. Barkley got into the tank, waited under the hostile barrage until the enemy line was abreast of him and then opened fire, completely breaking up the counterattack and killing and wounding a large number of the enemy. Five minutes later an enemy 77-millimeter gun opened fire on the tank pointblank. One shell struck the drive wheel of the tank, but this soldier nevertheless remained in the tank and after the barrage ceased broke up a second enemy counterattack, thereby enabling our forces to gain and hold Hill 25.

Private First Class John Andrew Barnes, III (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 12, 1967 at Dak To, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Barnes distinguished himself by exceptional heroism while engaged in combat against hostile forces. Pfc. Barnes was serving as a grenadier when his unit was attacked by a North Vietnamese force, estimated to be a battalion. Upon seeing the crew of a machine gun team killed, Pfc. Barnes, without hesitation, dashed through the bullet swept area, manned the machine gun, and killed 9 enemy soldiers as they assaulted his position. While pausing just long enough to retrieve more ammunition, Pfc. Barnes observed an enemy grenade thrown into the midst of some severely wounded personnel close to his position. Realizing that the grenade could further injure or kill the majority of the wounded personnel, he sacrificed his life by throwing himself directly onto the hand grenade as it exploded. Through his indomitable courage, complete disregard for his own safety, and profound concern for his fellow soldiers, he averted a probable loss of life and injury to the wounded members of his unit. Pfc. Barnes' extraordinary heroism, and intrepidity at the cost of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, are in the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Private First Class Will C. Barnes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 11, 1881 at Fort Apache, Arizona. His citation reads:

Bravery in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment