Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 5, 2010

The I’m just sayin... All-Time Clemson Football Team

I have been watching my old Clemson football tapes (now DVDs) lately (because I know they win those games) and it got me to thinking about who I would have on my All-Time Clemson football team. In the interest of fairness, I will provide space on here for anyone who would like to present their “All-Time” football team for their school (like the Revolutionary War Heroes, for example). Heck, I might even come up with one on my own (or at least try to).  I’m going to make this as in-depth as possible because it’s my blog and I want to. I’m going to come up with a coaching staff and a full roster of scholarship players (85). I am not sure when I will post this, but whenever it is you need to know that I’ve been working on this for quite some time. Also, by “All-Time” I don’t really mean all-time... I mean all-time starting in 1977. Don’t ask why; just accept that it is this way. Anyway, let us begin...

Head Coach: Danny Ford

Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach: Nelson Stokley

Running Back Coach: Chuck Reedy

Wide Receivers Coach: Rick Stockstill

Tight Ends Coach: Danny Pearman

Offensive Line Coach: Larry Van Der Heyden

Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs Coach: Bill Oliver

Defensive Line Coach: Tom Harper

Linebackers Coach: Tommy West

Special Teams Coach: Andre Powell

You will notice a lot of these coaches are from the ‘80s. Perhaps that is because they were coaching during my youth and they remind me of a simpler time in my life when Clemson football was good. Or maybe it is because all of these years have made me forget all the negatives of each of these coaches. I don’t know... I just know these are the guys I’d want on my staff. That’s not to say I haven’t like any of the coaches recently... I have. I had a hard time picking between Dabo and Stockstill for WR coach. I like a number of the defensive coaches on the staff now, but I had to cut some people and they got cut. The following are the players on this team. I’m not going to list them in any real order... I don’t have a depth-chart for this team because I’m not sure I could do it. Anyway, here it is...

QB
Rodney Williams
Steve Fuller
Homer Jordan
Woodrow Dantzler
Mike Epply
Charlie Whitehurst

RB
CJ Spiller
Terry Allen
Terrence Flagler
Tracy Johnson
Raymond Priester
Kenny Flowers
Wesley McFadden
Travis Zachery

WR/TE
Jerry Butler
Perry Tuttle
Rod Gardner
Tony Elliott
Dwight Clark
Terry Smith
Keith Jennings
Gary Cooper
Kevin Youngblood
Jacoby Ford
Aaron Kelly
K.D. Dunn (TE)
Terrance Roulhac
Antwuan Wyatt
Michael Palmer (TE)

OL
Jeff Bostic
Joe Bostic
John Phillips
Jeff Bak
Jeff Nunamacher
Eric Harmon
Jeb Flesch
Stacy Long
Bruce Bratton
Stacy Seegars
Will Young
Glenn Rountree
Jim Bundren
Kyle Young
Will Merritt
Roman Fry
Thomas Austin

DL
William Perry
Michael Dean Perry
Rob Bodine
Vance Hammond
Chester McGlockton
Brenston Buckner
Trevor Pryce
Gaines Adams
Nick Eason
Ricky Sapp
Da’Quan Bowers

LB
Jeff Davis
Levon Kirkland
Ed McDaniel
John Johnson
Doug Brewster
Wayne Simmons
Anthony Simmons
Keith Adams
Leroy Hill
Andy Headen

DB
Terry Kinard
Donnell Woolford
James Lott
Dexter Davis
Arlington Nunn
Brian Dawkins
Billy Davis
Dexter McCleon
Antwan Edwards
Justin Miller
Tye Hill
Michael Hamlin
Chris Chancellor

K/P
Donald Igwebuike
David Treadwell
Chris Gardocki
Dale Hatcher
Nelson Welch

So there you have it. I probably have too many kickers and not enough linebackers or whatever... but that’s my list. I don’t know who I would take off of it to add someone else. And now, on to my picks for the weekend...

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Friday Night
James Island vs. West Ashley – I’m going to pick JI to win this one by 3.

Summerville vs. Colleton County – I think Summerville will find a way to bounce back from their loss last week. Summerville by 21.

Ashley Ridge at Fort Dorchester – Ashley Ridge has been on a slide and Fort. Dorchester is coming off a good win over Wando... so of course I’m picking Ashley Ridge to win by 5.

Dorman at Woodmont – Dorman has been winning... I don’t see why that will stop now. I’m picking Dorman by 6.

Saturday
#18 USC vs. #17 Arkansas 7:00pm (ESPN) – The Revolutionary War Heroes are looking to win their final SEC home game of the season. It won’t be easy, but I think they can do it. USC will win by 7.

Clemson vs. #23 NC State 12:00pm (WCSC) – I want to expect good things from the Tigers... but I’m not sure I can. I think NC State wins this one by 10. I hope I’m wrong.

Navy at East Carolina 3:30pm (MASN) – Navy will bounce back from the loss last week to Duke and win this one by 3.

CSU at Kentucky 12:30pm – Haha... Kentucky by 16.

Sunday
Miami at Baltimore 1:00pm (CBS) – I will stand by my theory until proven wrong. The Dolphins are on the road, so I like their chances. Miami by 3.

Monday
Pittsburgh at Cincinnati 8:30pm (ESPN) – I think the Steelers will win this one by 7.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private William H. Barnes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War. His citation reads:

Among the first to enter the enemy's works; although wounded.

Captain Harvey C. Barnum, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 18, 1965 at Ky Phu in Quang Tin Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. When the company was suddenly pinned down by a hail of extremely accurate enemy fire and was quickly separated from the remainder of the battalion by over 500 meters of open and fire-swept ground, and casualties mounted rapidly. Lt. Barnum quickly made a hazardous reconnaissance of the area, seeking targets for his artillery. Finding the rifle company commander mortally wounded and the radio operator killed, he, with complete disregard for his safety, gave aid to the dying commander, then removed the radio from the dead operator and strapped it to himself. He immediately assumed command of the rifle company, and moving at once into the midst of the heavy fire, rallying and giving encouragement to all units, reorganized them to replace the loss of key personnel and led their attack on enemy positions from which deadly fire continued to come. His sound and swift decisions and his obvious calm served to stabilize the badly decimated units and his gallant example as he stood exposed repeatedly to point out targets served as an inspiration to all. Provided with 2 armed helicopters, he moved fearlessly through enemy fire to control the air attack against the firmly entrenched enemy while skillfully directing 1 platoon in a successful counterattack on the key enemy positions. Having thus cleared a small area, he requested and directed the landing of 2 transport helicopters for the evacuation of the dead and wounded. He then assisted in the mopping up and final seizure of the battalion's objective. His gallant initiative and heroic conduct reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service.

Colonel Henry A. Barnum (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 23, 1863 at Chattanooga, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Although suffering severely from wounds, he led his regiment, inciting the men to greater action by word and example until again severely wounded.

1 comment:

  1. Greg how can I get a copy of those cd's from 81-84 when KD Dunn was there. I am trying to recreat some memorabilia he lost in a fire for his birthday. E-mail me at klpoole@hotmail.com if you can help.

    ReplyDelete