Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Vote

Don’t forget to vote. I love voting. I love the touch-screen machine that I get to use when I vote. I love the sticker they give me after I vote (it’s true... I guess I’m still a kid). If they would let me, I would vote multiple times.

We at I’m just sayin... don’t want to influence the way you vote, but I did vote for Jeremy (Treasurer) and Danny (County Council). Yes, I take voting seriously... and I seriously thought they were the best option for both positions. Interesting fact #1: Jeremy has received at least one vote in every election since 2000. Interesting fact #2: He hasn’t won any of them.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy Halloween. I had a great time at the Halloween party The Wife and I went to this past Saturday. I won a prize for funniest costume (I was a Russian Gorilla... I’ll try to post a picture soon). There wasn’t a hole in the mouth part of the costume, so I had to drink from a straw that came in through the nose (of the costume... not my real nose). We have a tradition that I bring the cheapest type of alcohol (that goes with the outfit) to this party and all the guys do at least one shot. So yes, I did a shot of very cheap (and not at all cold) vodka using a straw that came in through the nose of my costume. I can now mark off yet another thing from my list of things I never thought I’d do. Of course, it got a big laugh from the group (what can I say... I’m a sucker for stickers and making people laugh). I can’t wait for next year!

Aside from the Halloween party at Dave and Shara’s house, I’m not a big fan of Halloween. I think it’s what’s wrong with America. Kids going from house to house thinking all they have to do is knock on the door and hold a bag out and someone will just give them candy. You want candy? Get a job and go buy your own candy. Or do some work around my house and I’ll give you candy. Don’t just walk up and think I should give you candy. That’s the rant I say every year and then The Wife rolls her eyes and gives candy to all the trick-or-treaters.

Mary Ruth didn’t go trick-or-treating this year. We told her that she could go when she’s five. So she dressed up and handed out candy (she had to “earn” the right to trick-or-treat next year). She loved it! I think she had more fun handing out candy than some of the kids did getting it. She’s a sweet girl.  Susie won't get to go trick-or-treating with us until she's paid her dues and handed out candy.

We did take the girls to the Aquarium for "Fish or Treat".  It was ok.  It cost us $40 ($10/person... and Susie counted as a person).  We won't be going back.  Some of the candy they gave was organic candy.  We gave that to the teenagers who didn't dress up but still came to our house trick-or-treating.  Everyone at the aquarium thougth Susie was a boy.  So next year we won't go to the aquarium but we will go trick-or-treating (and we might go to the events at some of the local churches).

Next year, I’m going to hide outside and the first person to ring our doorbell after we’ve turned all of our outside lights off is going to get shot with a BB gun.

If your child is overweight (way overweight) should you really be driving them from house to house so they can get candy? Really?

If I get a chance, I’m going to post the numbers for the Memory Walk. Money is still coming in (so there’s still time to give if you haven’t yet) but I’m going to go ahead and announce the current totals tomorrow (I hope).

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Friday Night
James Island at Stratford – I picked JI... I was wrong. JI lost 8-41.

Summerville at Beaufort – I picked Summerville... and they let me down. Summerville lost 28-31.

Ashley Ridge vs Goose Creek – I got this one right. I picked Goose Creek and they won 56-3.

Fort Dorchester at Wando – I picked Wando. I was wrong. Fort Dorchester won 34-23.

Dorman vs Byrnes – Dorman has become my “go to” team. I picked them to win, and win they did 21-14.

Saturday
#17 USC vs Tennessee – I picked the Revolutionary War Heroes and I was right. USC won 38-24.

Clemson at Boston College – I went with Clemson. I should I known better. The Tigers lost 10-16.

Navy vs. Duke – You know it isn’t your day when your team loses to Duke. Saturday wasn’t my day. I picked Navy and I was wrong. Navy lost 31-34.

CSU at Stony Brook 3:00pm – Well, I got this one right. I picked Stony Brook and they won 41-21.

Sunday
Pittsburgh at New Orleans – I went with the Steelers and I was wrong. Pittsburgh lost 10-20.

Miami at Cincinnati – I picked the Dolphins to win and I was right. Miami won 22-14. They are now asking the NFL if they can change all of their remaining home games to away games.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant Van T. Barfoot (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 23, 1944 near Carano, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

Private First Class Charles D. Barger (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 31, 1918 near Bois-deBantheville, France. His citation reads:

Learning that 2 daylight patrols had been caught out in No Man's Land and were unable to return, Pfc. Barger and another stretcher bearer upon their own initiative made 2 trips 500 yards beyond our lines, under constant machinegun fire, and rescued 2 wounded officers.

Private David B. Barkeley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 9, 1918 near Pouilly, France. His citation reads:

When information was desired as to the enemy's position on the opposite side of the Meuse River, Pvt. Barkeley, with another soldier, volunteered without hesitation and swam the river to reconnoiter the exact location. He succeeded in reaching the opposite bank, despite the evident determination of the enemy to prevent a crossing. Having obtained his information, he again entered the water for his return, but before his goal was reached, he was seized with cramps and drowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment