Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Aunt Yvonne!!!!!

All of us at I’m just sayin… would like to wish all of you named Aunt Yvonne a very happy birthday! You will remember, of course, that I am tied with my cousin ***** as Aunt Yvonne’s 2 favorite children. I promised her I wouldn’t say which two of her “real” children are ranked in the bottom 2. :)

So, since my last post I’ve fallen a little under the weather. Here is a rough play-by-play after my last post (Thursday night).

Call The Wife to let her know I’m on my way home.

Call The Parents to talk to them (Dad answers). (***Note: I am what some would call a creature of habit. You know, the kind of guy who would keep a Sunday School class from starting until someone got out of his seat so he could sit down. Anyway, for many years upon leaving work I’d call The Wife to let her know I’m on my way and then I’d call MaMa and, time permitting, The Parents. Of course, with MaMa now gone, I now call The Wife and The Parents. The Wife knows that once my call with her has ended, I will be on the phone with The Parents… so if she wants to tell me something she needs to do it when I call her or wait until I get home. End Note***)

The Wife calls… and calls… leaves a voicemail… and calls.

I interrupt my call with Dad to answer The Wife. She tells me to pick up a pizza and some ice on my way home.

I get back on the phone with Dad (and later Mom).

I pick up the pizza and ice and go home.

At some point after eating (a little before 7:00) the hearing in my right ear goes out. Mind you, my right ear is the one that has been operated on twice already. So, a little after tip-off of the Winthrop/Gardner-Webb game my ear starts hurting… BAD. So I go to the drug store to try and find something to help me.

I get back in time for the second half of the game. It was a thriller! But the stuff I found at the drug store wasn’t working. It was so bad I HAD to go to the doctor, it hurt so bad. But did I mention the game was a THRILLER?! So I wait to leave until the game is over (WU won 60-57 on a 3 pointer at the buzzer).

I get to the after-hours doctor around 9:40pm. He sees me sometime before 11:00. He says I have an ear infection. He also says, “Your ear looks like hell… but I have no idea how it should look after your two surgeries”. I told him that I’ve seen it enough that if I could get a look now I could tell him if it looks off. We then spent a couple of minutes talking about what cool equipment the ENTs have. He then calls in a prescription for me and sends me on my way.

I go sit at the drug store for about an hour waiting for my prescription to be filled and then get home around 11:45. I grab something to eat so I can take my meds and then get to bed around midnight.

I wake up Friday morning with my right ear still not working. It’s not that I can’t hear anything, it’s just that my hearing is below normal. Stick some cotton in your ear, then get a shirt and hold it to your ear real tight and that’s about how well I can hear out of my right ear.

So, I go to work and The Wife (in between her morning visits) calls my doctor to get the ok for me to go to my ENT and then calls my ENT to get me in there. (fyi… she’s awesome). I go to my ENT to get my hearing checked (it’s below normal) and he tells me not to worry. It’s just fluid behind my ear and the drugs the other doc gave me and come back to see him in a couple of weeks.

So, that’s what I’ve had going on. The only other bad thing is that the medicine I’m taking for this ear infection can, from time to time, make me sick. But, what can you do?

Oh, if you’ve never had an ear infection (or haven’t had one in over 10 years) don’t start now. I hate them.

Oh, if any of you out there think I may be overreacting to an ear infection… let me show you what ended up happening the last time my ear
hurt and my hearing left me:


Oh, I'm sorry... Did you not want to see a picture of a tube coming out the back of my ear? Well you should have thought of that before you thought I was overreacting to an ear infection.

I have more I’d like to say, but I’m tired so that’s all for today.

THE I’m just sayin… SUPER BOWL XLV PREDICTION

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Green Bay Packers – Sunday @ 6:25pm (FOX): I could write some long thing here about each team and how I think this game is going to go… but I don’t really feel like it. The bottom line is this: All the “experts” I’ve been hearing on the radio have picked Green Bay. All that does is make me even more confident in my pick that the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to WIN this game. GO STEELERS!

Winthrop Update: The Eagles got a big road win today over UNCA! Their next game is Thursday against CSU.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Thomas A. Blasdel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Sergeant David B. Bleak (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 14, 1952 near Minari-gol, Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Bleak, a member of the medical company, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. As a medical aidman, he volunteered to accompany a reconnaissance patrol committed to engage the enemy and capture a prisoner for interrogation. Forging up the rugged slope of the key terrain, the group was subjected to intense automatic weapons and small arms fire and suffered several casualties. After administering to the wounded, he continued to advance with the patrol. Nearing the military crest of the hill, while attempting to cross the fire-swept area to attend the wounded, he came under hostile fire from a small group of the enemy concealed in a trench. Entering the trench he closed with the enemy, killed 2 with bare hands and a third with his trench knife. Moving from the emplacement, he saw a concussion grenade fall in front of a companion and, quickly shifting his position, shielded the man from the impact of the blast. Later, while ministering to the wounded, he was struck by a hostile bullet but, despite the wound, he undertook to evacuate a wounded comrade. As he moved down the hill with his heavy burden, he was attacked by 2 enemy soldiers with fixed bayonets. Closing with the aggressors, he grabbed them and smacked their heads together, then carried his helpless comrade down the hill to safety. Sgt. Bleak's dauntless courage and intrepid actions reflect utmost credit upon himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.

Second Lieutenant Erwin R. Bleckley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 6, 1918 near Binarville, France. His citation reads:

2d Lt. Bleckley, with his pilot, 1st Lt. Harold E. Goettler, Air Service, left the airdrome late in the afternoon on their second trip to drop supplies to a battalion of the 77th Division, which had been cut off by the enemy in the Argonne Forest. Having been subjected on the first trip to violent fire from the enemy, they attempted on the second trip to come still lower in order to get the packages even more precisely on the designated spot. In the course of his mission the plane was brought down by enemy rifle and machinegun fire from the ground, resulting in fatal wounds to 2d Lt. Bleckley, who died before he could be taken to a hospital. In attempting and performing this mission 2d Lt. Bleckley showed the highest possible contempt of personal danger, devotion to duty, courage, and valor.

No comments:

Post a Comment