Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, February 21, 2011

Thoughts while watching the Sopranos

You will be happy to know that I don’t watch this show with MR. Although she could learn a lot watching it (mainly, never EVER rat on your friends)… but The Wife would get mad at me.

I think the hearing is back in my right ear. Thank you to all of the people who asked me about it and were worried for me.

I hope all of you who only cared about me posting on this blog feel bad that you didn’t care about my well being. “Who cares if you can’t hear… make me laugh, funny man!”

Just got done reading The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the ‘70s, and the Fight for America’s Soul by Chad Millman and Shawn Coyne. The book was a birthday gift from I’m just sayin… friend Jeremy. I highly recommend it to all of my readers. It’s a mixture of football and life as a steel worker in the ‘60s and ‘70s.

I am now reading The Roosevelts and the Royals: Franklin and Eleanor, The King and Queen of England, and the Friendship That Changed History by Will Swift. I’m only a couple of chapters into it, but so far so good.

We at I’m just sayin… would like to thank Aunt Yvonne for a wonderful meal last night. Per our tradition, we packed up the kids and took a trip to Mt. Pleasant so that Uncle George could do our taxes and Aunt Yvonne could feed us. It seems some in my family are upset with this arrangement… but what can I say, when you’re the favorite you get the best deals. That’s how it is in life. I know some people will… how shall I say… “doubt” what I’m saying, but it is what it is. Don’t get mad at me if your CPA isn’t as good to you as mine is to me.

We’ve got about 41 days until Daniel (‘lil Danny as The Wife calls him… or maybe I’m the one who calls him that… I can’t remember) gets here.

Speaking of Danny, we at I’m just sayin… would like to wish our good friend Danny a very speedy recovery. Word on the street is that he has mono. As you know, I had mono in college. If Danny is reading this, let me just say I hope you got mono the same way I did. ;) If Jen is reading this, let me just say that sonofagun better not have gotten mono the same way I did in college.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I could use a case of mono right about now. I dropped a ton of weight when I had it in college.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop lost in overtime at home to Ohio this past Saturday night. The Eagles resume Big South play on Thursday when they host Liberty.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Seaman Robert Blume (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898 while on board the USS Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the cutting of the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Blume set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

First Lieutenant John W. Blunt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1864 at Cedar Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily led a charge across a narrow bridge over the creek, against the lines of the enemy.

Second Lieutenant John P. Bobo (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 30, 1967 at Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Company 1 was establishing night ambush sites when the command group was attacked by a reinforced North Vietnamese company supported by heavy automatic weapons and mortar fire. 2d Lt. Bobo immediately organized a hasty defense and moved from position to position encouraging the outnumbered marines despite the murderous enemy fire. Recovering a rocket launcher from among the friendly casualties, he organized a new launcher team and directed its fire into the enemy machine gun positions. When an exploding enemy mortar round severed 2d Lt. Bobo's right leg below the knee, he refused to be evacuated and insisted upon being placed in a firing position to cover the movement of the command group to a better location. With a web belt around his leg serving as a tourniquet and with his leg jammed into the dirt to curtain the bleeding, he remained in this position and delivered devastating fire into the ranks of the enemy attempting to overrun the marines. 2d Lt. Bobo was mortally wounded while firing his weapon into the main point of the enemy attack but his valiant spirit inspired his men to heroic efforts, and his tenacious stand enabled the command group to gain a protective position where it repulsed the enemy onslaught. 2d Lt. Bobo's superb leadership, dauntless courage, and bold initiative reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

No comments:

Post a Comment