Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, June 15, 2012

College Baseball

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain William Wylie Galt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 29, 1944, at Villa Crocetta, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. Capt. Galt, Battalion S3, at a particularly critical period following 2 unsuccessful attacks by his battalion, of his own volition went forward and ascertained just how critical the situation was. He volunteered, at the risk of his life, personally to lead the battalion against the objective. When the lone remaining tank destroyer refused to go forward, Capt. Galt jumped on the tank destroyer and ordered it to precede the attack. As the tank destroyer moved forward, followed by a company of riflemen, Capt. Galt manned the .30-caliber machinegun in the turret of the tank destroyer, located and directed fire on an enemy 77mm. anti-tank gun, and destroyed it. Nearing the enemy positions, Capt. Galt stood fully exposed in the turret, ceaselessly firing his machinegun and tossing hand grenades into the enemy zigzag series of trenches despite the hail of sniper and machinegun bullets ricocheting off the tank destroyer. As the tank destroyer moved, Capt. Galt so maneuvered it that 40 of the enemy were trapped in one trench. When they refused to surrender, Capt. Galt pressed the trigger of the machinegun and dispatched every one of them. A few minutes later an 88mm shell struck the tank destroyer and Capt. Galt fell mortally wounded across his machinegun. He had personally killed 40 Germans and wounded many more. Capt. Galt pitted his judgment and superb courage against overwhelming odds, exemplifying the highest measure of devotion to his country and the finest traditions of the U.S. Army.

Staff Sergeant Archer T. Gammon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 11, 1945, near Bastogne, Belgium. His citation reads:

He charged 30 yards through hip-deep snow to knock out a machinegun and its 3-man crew with grenades, saving his platoon from being decimated and allowing it to continue its advance from an open field into some nearby woods. The platoon's advance through the woods had only begun when a machinegun supported by riflemen opened fire and a Tiger Royal tank sent 88mm. shells screaming at the unit from the left flank. S/Sgt. Gammon, disregarding all thoughts of personal safety, rushed forward, then cut to the left, crossing the width of the platoon's skirmish line in an attempt to get within grenade range of the tank and its protecting foot troops. Intense fire was concentrated on him by riflemen and the machinegun emplaced near the tank. He charged the automatic weapon, wiped out its crew of 4 with grenades, and, with supreme daring, advanced to within 25 yards of the armored vehicle, killing 2 hostile infantrymen with rifle fire as he moved forward. The tank had started to withdraw, backing a short distance, then firing, backing some more, and then stopping to blast out another round, when the man whose single-handed relentless attack had put the ponderous machine on the defensive was struck and instantly killed by a direct hit from the Tiger Royal's heavy gun. By his intrepidity and extreme devotion to the task of driving the enemy back no matter what the odds, S/Sgt. Gammon cleared the woods of German forces, for the tank continued to withdraw, leaving open the path for the gallant squad leader's platoon.

Private First Class Fernando Luis Garcia (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 5, 1952, in Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a member of Company I, in action against enemy aggressor forces. While participating in the defense of a combat outpost located more than 1 mile forward of the main line of resistance during a savage night attack by a fanatical enemy force employing grenades, mortars, and artillery, Pfc. Garcia, although suffering painful wounds, moved through the intense hail of hostile fire to a supply point to secure more handgrenades. Quick to act when a hostile grenade landed nearby, endangering the life of another marine, as well as his own, he unhesitatingly chose to sacrifice himself and immediately threw his body upon the deadly missile, receiving the full impact of the explosion. His great personal valor and cool decision in the face of almost certain death sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.


I know some of you have been watching college baseball these past few weeks and I’m sure you’ve had some questions about what you’ve been hearing. With the College World Series starting tonight, I’m going to try and help you out.

Announcer: “He painted the black with that pitch”.

Translation: “I can’t believe the umpire just called that a strike”.

Announcer: "This umpire has been consistent all night".

Translation: "He's been consitently bad".

Announcer: “This lefty has a great move to first”.

Translation: “This left-handed pitcher balks every time he tries to pick a guy off first… he just never gets called for it”.

Announcer: “He has game speed”.

Translation: “I’m a moron”.

Sorry, but thanks to my friend Cory, I now have trouble listening to Mike Patrick call a game. Anyway, the big news leading into the College World Series (which starts tonight) is Stony Brook being there. They are the Cinderella team that has shocked the world to get there. I admit, I was pulling for them to beat LSU… but that’s as far as I go with this Cinderella. They had a little too much “northeast” talk after they won their Super Regional. Hey, their proud to represent the northeast. That’s fine. Good for them. I ain’t cheering for the northeast school to do well in the CWS. I just can’t do it.

Speaking of Cinderella… for my money the greatest college baseball Cinderella story will always be the 1990 Citadel baseball team. I admit I’m biased here. Sonny had played with or against some of the guys on that team (he could have played with all of them that season… but I won’t get into that right now). Coach Hatley was an assistant coach on that team. And, of course, Coach Port was the head coach. It’s a little known fact that I was the batboy for The Citadel for a couple of games in 1989, so needless to say I was a fan of the team (I remember all of the guys being nice to me). I remember Dad taking me to a good many games that season (and you have to remember, this was back before the new stadium… so they were still playing at College Park… You had to really want to see a game to go there). Hugo had hit the previous September, so that team gave the area something to take their minds off of the recovery (which was still going on in the spring of 1990). Make no mistake, that team wasn’t perfect. It had some flaws… but they were fun to watch and they won enough games that their flaws could be overlooked. They had to go through the University of Miami to get to the CWS (how fitting that a team from Charleston at that time would beat the Hurricanes to advance to Omaha). The best part (for me, at least) is that The Citadel won a game in Omaha… they didn’t go two and out. The game they won was televised on ESPN… if only I had recorded it. I’d love to watch it again. I’ve looked on the internet, but can’t find a copy of that game anywhere. If any of you have a copy, feel free to let me know.


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

The South Carolina Athlete you should know today is former Citadel baseball player Anthony Jenkins. He also played football, but he’s on here because of baseball. Jenkins was a senior and star player on that 1990 baseball team. He was a First Team All-American that year and was named the Southern Conference Male Athlete of the Year (also in that year) after leading the team to a 46-14 record. He will forever be remembered for “The Slide” in the 8-7 come-from-behind victory over Cal State-Fullerton in the College World Series. AJ had a .719 slugging percentage in 1990 while scoring a then-school record 70 runs. He also held the school record for hits in a season (89), total bases (161) and home runs (16).

Anthony Jenkins was named to the Citadel Hall of Fame in 1999 and the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007 (also the same year the 1990 Citadel Baseball Team was inducted). Anthony Jenkins is the South Carolina Athlete you should know. And while I’m thinking about it… you should also know “The Slide”. Even after 22 years I can still picture it. Thanks for that memory, AJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment