Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, July 28, 2012

Someday I’ll be Saturday Night…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Luke M. Griswold (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 30, 1862, on board the USS Rhode Island. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Rhode Island which was engaged in saving the lives of the officers and crew of the Monitor, 30 December 1862. Participating in the hazardous rescue of the officers and crew of the sinking Monitor, Griswold, after rescuing several of the men, became separated in a heavy gale with other members of the cutter that had set out from the Rhode Island, and spent many hours in the small boat at the mercy of the weather and high seas until finally picked up by a schooner 50 miles east of Cape Hatteras.

Private Samuel Gross (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 17, 1915, at Fort Riviere, Haiti. His citation reads:

In company with members of the 5th, 13th, 23d Companies and the marine and sailor detachment from the U.S.S. Connecticut, Gross participated in the attack on Fort Riviere, Haiti, 17 November 1915. Following a concentrated drive, several different detachments of marines gradually closed in on the old French bastion fort in an effort to cut off all avenues of retreat for the Caco bandits. Approaching a breach in the wall which was the only entrance to the fort, Gross was the second man to pass through the breach in the face of constant fire from the Cacos and, thereafter, for a 10-minute period, engaged the enemy in desperate hand-to-hand combat until the bastion was captured and Caco resistance neutralized.

Lieutenant Colonel William R. Grove (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 9, 1899, near Porac, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

In advance of his regiment, rushed to the assistance of his colonel, charging, pistol in hand, 7 insurgents, and compelling surrender of all not killed or wounded.


I went to a Riverdogs game last night with Jeremy. I think it was the first time I’ve been at a game where they put the tarp out on the field and delayed the game because they thought it was going to rain. So the game started one hour late. It didn’t rain. It actually ended up being a nice night weather wise. The Asheville manager got tossed in the first inning. To be fair, he was right… the ump made a bad call. Still, I’m of the opinion that baseball coaches/managers need to “pick their battles”… I’m not sure how wise it is to strongly argue a call in the first inning of the first game in a three game series. It can make for a long series. I’m just sayin…

Video from the game can be seen here: 
Asheville Tourists manager puts on a show at Riverdogs game! - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather


This is a great article from Yahoo! about Skip Prosser’s son, Mark, and protégé Pat Kelsey who are now coaching at Winthrop.


The I’m just sayin… Kid Show of the Week
The Kid Show of the Week this week is the All-New Popeye Hour. The All-New Popeye Hour is an animated show produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and King Features Syndicate. Starring the popular comic strip character Popeye, the series aired from 1978 to 1983 on CBS.

The show was an hour-long animated series produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions, which tried its best to retain the style of the original comic strip, while complying with the prevailing content restrictions on violence. Featured characters (aside from Popeye, Bluto, Olive Oyl and Wimpy) were Swee'Pea, Poopdeck Pappy, Eugene the Jeep and Popeye's quadruplet nephews.

Because of restrictions on violence on TV cartoons for children at the time, in this version Popeye did not throw punches to get back at Bluto; he often lifted him, with his own hands or with machinery, and hurled him away. This means it’s safe to watch this with your kids while your wife is around. ;)

The All-New Popeye Hour ran on CBS until September 1981, when it was cut to a half-hour and retitled The Popeye and Olive Show. It was removed from the CBS lineup in September 1983, the cartoons were immediately sold to local stations in nationwide syndication.

You can find this show on DVD. As with all of the shows we have in this part of the blog, this is a great show to watch with your children.

Thanks to Wikipedia for the info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment