Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thankful...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal Ignatz Gresser (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 17, 1862, at Antietam, Maryland. His citation reads:

While exposed to the fire of the enemy, carried from the field a wounded comrade.

Lieutenant James H. Gribben (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865, at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 12th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Captain of the Forecastle John Griffiths (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865, on board the USS Santiago de Cuba. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Santiago de Cuba during the assault on Fort Fisher on 15 January 1865. As one of a boatcrew detailed to one of the generals on shore, Griffiths bravely entered the fort in the assault and accompanied his party in carrying dispatches at the height of the battle. He was one of 6 men who entered the fort in the assault from the fleet.


I understand why people want gun control… It’s not that I don’t “get” it, because I do. I just don’t think it would help anything. As I’ve said before, murder is already against the law… so if someone is willing to break that law, I don’t think they will really care about breaking a gun law. I could be wrong and I’m willing to listen to any arguments out there… but for now I’m not sold on gun control.

I REALLY can’t wait for college football to get here.  

For all of you going to games this season, don’t forget my love of stadium cups. I’m not saying you have to get me one… I’m just saying if you have one and are thinking of throwing it away, I would like it.

Interesting new rules in college football… especially one about helmets coming off during the play. Google the rule if you want to know about it… I’m not here to report, just give opinions. Anyway, I agree with the rule in theory… I’m just not sure how good of a rule it will end up being. I think it might be too hard for the refs to call fairly. Then again, just having the rule in place might get players to do more to make sure their helmets don’t come off as easy.


Thankful Thursday

I can’t remember if I’ve talked about this before or not, but it doesn’t really matter because I’m thankful for it today. What, you ask, am I talking about? My grandparents. I know I talked about my family last week, but this week I’m talking specifically about my grandparents. I have come to realize over the years that not everyone knows their grandparents and of those who do, not everyone likes them. How sad it that? I knew 3 out of my 4 grandparents… not as good as 4 out of 4, but better than 2 out of 4 (or zero). My grandfather on my Mom’s side died before I was born, but I did get to know Mom’s mom (Granny) and both of Dad’s parents (Mama and Da). I sat in between MaMa and Da at Ashley River Baptist Church every Sunday growing up. More times than not, I’d fall asleep at some point during the sermon with my head on Da. The times when I was awake, I can remember Da doing something to make me jump and/or laugh… causing MaMa to swat at him… except that MaMa’s arms weren’t very long, so it was 50/50 on if she’d hit Da or me. Then there were the endless days and nights playing with marbles in their den while watching Murder She Wrote or Matlock with them. And how could I forget how Da would shake my hand after every baseball game I played (giving me a dollar in the process)… don’t worry, he did the same thing for Sonny. I also remember spending the night at Granny’s house with Louis. It seems everything to do back then with Granny was also with Louis… we were a package deal. She’d take us to some fast food restaurant and let us keep the change. That was back when food was cheap enough for us to have change to keep. I also remember Granny taking me to Vacation Bible School (at Knightsville Methodist and Bethany, I believe… I know for sure Knightsville… 99% sure Bethany). I remember she’d take us shopping and let us get a toy (with the only rule being it couldn’t be a toy gun… or a real gun, I assume, though I’m not sure that was ever specifically said). Those were some great times and while I’m sad all of them are no longer here, I’m thankful for the memories they left me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment