Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, August 16, 2013

Signs, signs, everywhere signs…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Robert Miller McTureous, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 7, 1945, on Okinawa in the Ryukyu Chain. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 3d Battalion, 29th Marines, 6th Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa in the Ryukyu Chain, 7 June 1945. Alert and ready for any hostile counteraction following his company's seizure of an important hill objective, Pvt. McTureous was quick to observe the plight of company stretcher bearers who were suddenly assailed by slashing machinegun fire as they attempted to evacuate wounded at the rear of the newly won position. Determined to prevent further casualties, he quickly filled his jacket with hand grenades and charged the enemy-occupied caves from which the concentrated barrage was emanating. Coolly disregarding all personal danger as he waged his furious 1-man assault, he smashed grenades into the cave entrances, thereby diverting the heaviest fire from the stretcher bearers to his own person and, resolutely returning to his own lines under a blanketing hail of rifle and machinegun fire to replenish his supply of grenades, dauntlessly continued his systematic reduction of Japanese strength until he himself sustained serious wounds after silencing a large number of the hostile guns. Aware of his own critical condition and unwilling to further endanger the lives of his comrades, he stoically crawled a distance of 200 yards to a sheltered position within friendly lines before calling for aid. By his fearless initiative and bold tactics, Pvt. McTureous had succeeded in neutralizing the enemy fire, killing 6 Japanese troops and effectively disorganizing the remainder of the savagely defending garrison. His outstanding valor and heroic spirit of self-sacrifice during a critical stage of operations reflect the highest credit upon himself and the U.S. Naval Service.

Private Charles H. McVeagh (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from August to October 1868, in Arizona. His citation reads:

Bravery in scouts and actions against Indians.

Corporal John P. McVeane (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 4, 1863, at Fredericksburg Heights, Virginia. His citation reads:

Shot a Confederate color bearer and seized the flag; also approached, alone, a barn between the lines and demanded and received the surrender of a number of the enemy therein.


I’m against college football players (really, college athletes in general) getting “paid” to play (other than the scholarships they already get). I don’t, however, have a problem with them selling their autographs (as long as they still sign stuff for free for kids). As you know, I once had a yellow sheet of paper that had autographs from some of the greatest Clemson football players of all time on it. I say “had”, because I’m pretty sure Mom threw it away at some point… though I do hold out hope that one day I’ll find it. Even without the paper, I still have the memory of walking around on the sidelines of Death Valley during the 1989 Orange and White Spring Game asking my heroes for their autograph. I remember going up to Chris Morocco (QB) while he was kneeling down by the sideline to ask for his autograph. He looked down at Coach Ford (who was watching what was going on out on the field) and said, “Coach will kill me if he sees this”… he then put the paper on his knee and signed his name… because that’s what real Americans do when a little kid walks up and asks for an autograph. Levon Kirkland, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, Terry Allen… and many, many more all signed because you can’t turn down a kid with a paper and pen.

It seems now a lot of youngsters won’t have a chance to make memories like mine (and a lot of college guys won’t get to sign autographs… and trust me, most [if not all], of them love signing stuff). I’ve been hearing that a lot of schools are now not letting people get autographs at their “Fan Day”. I think that’s the wrong move. I hope things change soon, or the only ones getting hurt will be the kids.


Flashback Friday

Today we're going to be looking at some old pics of the G3s of my Labor Day Family. Some of the kids in these pictures are in high school now. Wow...




Leah hugging Kenneth...




No comments:

Post a Comment