Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 25, 2013

Did you see…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate Francis Moore (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 23, 1882, on board the US Training Ship Portsmouth. His citation reads:

For jumping overboard from the U.S. Training Ship Portsmouth, at the Washington Navy Yard, 23 January 1882, and endeavoring to rescue Thomas Duncan, carpenter and calker, who had fallen overboard.

Seaman George Moore (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 30, 1862, on board the USS Rhode Island. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Rhode Island which was engaged in saving the lives of the officers and crew of the Monitor, 30 December 1862. Participating in the hazardous task of rescuing the officers and crew of the sinking Monitor, Moore after rescuing several of the men, became separated in a heavy gale with other members of the cutter that had set out from the Rhode Island, and spent many hours in the small boat at the mercy of the weather and high seas until finally picked up by a schooner 50 miles east of Cape Hatteras.

Private George G. Moore (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 22, 1864, at Fishers Hill, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.


As you know, one of my passions is Alzheimer’s Disease… and to a somewhat slightly lesser degree, heart disease and prostate cancer (one of which will probably be what gets me… unless laughing to death is a real thing). Anyway, just the other day I was watching a football game on TV and I saw the players wearing all of this pink stuff. I know this was for Breast Cancer Awareness and I think that’s a good thing. But, as I said to The Wife, why don’t the NFL and College football do something to raise awareness for other things? Then I heard about Bears Wide Receiver Brandon Marshall being fined by the NFL for wearing lime green cleats in a game. It seems lime green is the official color for mental health awareness. We at I’m just sayin… say here’s to you Mr. Marshall. It’s not uncommon to see or hear players promoting some product or some event… it’s nice to see a player use their fame to help a cause. I get that people can’t give money to everything they want (at least, I can’t). You have to make choices. But the NFL, College football and their main TV partners (like ESPN and FOX) are big enough that they can do more than they're doing. There are about four months in the football season (maybe more or less… I didn’t count), so why not have a cause for each month? ESPN has done a great thing over the years with the V Foundation (for cancer research), why not use their airways to bring awareness and support for other diseases? I know they can’t do everything, but what would it hurt to try? Good job, Brandon Marshall, for doing what you can.

Make sure you take a minute to visit The Brandon Marshall Foundation.


Flashback Friday


Most of these are going to be Halloween Pics... Here we see Jeremy (with me in the background). 

Me with Mary Ruth...

Daniel, Susie and Mary Ruth

Ok... this isn't a Halloween pic... but it makes me laugh every time I see it.  Susie trying to get one of my cookies...

Susie

Mary Ruth

Me... as a Russian Gorilla

No comments:

Post a Comment