Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 14, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DG!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Richard Pile (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 12, 1872, on board the U.S.S. Kansas. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Kansas, Pile displayed great coolness and self-possession at the time Comdr. A. F. Crosman and others were drowned, near Greytown, Nicaragua, 12 April 1872, and by his extraordinary heroism and personal exertion prevented greater loss of men.

Private First Class Herbert K. Pililaau (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 17, 1951, near Pia-ri, Korea. His citation reads:

Pfc. Pililaau, a member of Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. The enemy sent wave after wave of fanatical troops against his platoon which held a key terrain feature on "Heartbreak Ridge." Valiantly defending its position, the unit repulsed each attack until ammunition became practically exhausted and it was ordered to withdraw to a new position. Voluntarily remaining behind to cover the withdrawal, Pfc. Pililaau fired his automatic weapon into the ranks of the assailants, threw all his grenades and, with ammunition exhausted, closed with the foe in hand-to-hand combat, courageously fighting with his trench knife and bare fists until finally overcome and mortally wounded. When the position was subsequently retaken, more than 40 enemy dead were counted in the area he had so valiantly defended. His heroic devotion to duty, indomitable fighting spirit, and gallant self-sacrifice reflect the highest credit upon himself, the infantry, and the U.S. Army.

Technician Fifth Grade John J. Pinder, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 6, 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, near Colleville-sur-Mer, France. On D-day, Technician 5th Grade Pinder landed on the coast 100 yards off shore under devastating enemy machinegun and artillery fire which caused severe casualties among the boatload. Carrying a vitally important radio, he struggled towards shore in waist-deep water. Only a few yards from his craft he was hit by enemy fire and was gravely wounded. Technician 5th Grade Pinder never stopped. He made shore and delivered the radio. Refusing to take cover afforded, or to accept medical attention for his wounds, Technician 5th Grade Pinder, though terribly weakened by loss of blood and in fierce pain, on 3 occasions went into the fire-swept surf to salvage communication equipment. He recovered many vital parts and equipment, including another workable radio. On the 3rd trip he was again hit, suffering machinegun bullet wounds in the legs. Still this valiant soldier would not stop for rest or medical attention. Remaining exposed to heavy enemy fire, growing steadily weaker, he aided in establishing the vital radio communication on the beach. While so engaged this dauntless soldier was hit for the third time and killed. The indomitable courage and personal bravery of Technician 5th Grade Pinder was a magnificent inspiration to the men with whom he served.


We’d like to take a minute to wish my good friend and Labor Day Uncle DG a VERY HAPPY Birthday!!!! We hope he has a great day and many, many more birthdays.

Since he’s the birthday boy, we’re going to take a look at DG’s Top 5 shows (as well as two shows that my Labor Day Aunt Janie asked me to include). Before I get to the list, I have to say that I can’t remember if DG gave these to me in a specific order or if he just listed 5 shows… but I hope I have them listed correctly.

5   The Mentalist

4   Armor

3   Winds of War/War & Remembrance

2   Centennial

1   Maverick

Janie's Bonus Picks

2   Downton Abbey

1   Perry Mason

The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


339   Welcome Back, Kotter   1975-1979  

338   Laugh Inn   1968-1973  

337   Living Single   1993-1998  

336   Archie Bunker's Place   1979-1983   A spinoff of All In The Family

335   Nurse Jackie   2009-present   I hear great things about this show.

334   One Day at a Time   1975-1984  

333   Soap   1977-1981   Billy Crystal is in this show… that should tell you how funny it is.

332   Kojak   1973-1978  

331   Boston Legal   2004-2008   I'm a little surprised this show didn't last longer.

330   Cheyenne   1955-1963  

329   The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour   1967-1969   You want funny? You want the Smothers Brothers.

328   Newhart   1982-1990  

327   Royal Pains   2009-present   This is a pretty good show on USA that we try to keep up with.

326   The Bob Newhart Show   1972-1978   This is another funny show.

325   Dennis the Menace   1986-1988  

324   Deadwood   2004-2006  

323   Star Trek: Voyager   1995-2001   A decent Star Trek show.

322   Dear John   1988-1992  

321   Law & Order: Los Angeles   2010-2011   A Law & Order that only lasts this long isn't a great show.

320   Step by Step   1991-1998  

319   California Dreams   1992-1996  

318   Meet the Press   1947-present  

317   Colgate Comedy Hour   1950-1955  

316   The Flintstones   1960-1966   The cartoon that taught us how cavemen lived.

315   The X-Files   1993-2002  

No comments:

Post a Comment