Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sonny’s Top 5

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Larry S. Pierce (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 20, 1965, near Ben Cat, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Pierce was serving as squad leader in a reconnaissance platoon when his patrol was ambushed by hostile forces. Through his inspiring leadership and personal courage, the squad succeeded in eliminating an enemy machinegun and routing the opposing force. While pursuing the fleeing enemy, the squad came upon a dirt road and, as the main body of his men entered the road, Sgt. Pierce discovered an antipersonnel mine emplaced in the road bed. Realizing that the mine could destroy the majority of his squad, Sgt. Pierce saved the lives of his men at the sacrifice of his life by throwing himself directly onto the mine as it exploded. Through his indomitable courage, complete disregard for his safety, and profound concern for his fellow soldiers, he averted loss of life and injury to the members of his squad. Sgt. Pierce's extraordinary heroism, at the cost of his life, are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

First Sergeant Edward M. Pike (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 7, 1862, at Cache River, Arkansas. His citation reads:

While the troops were falling back before a superior force, this soldier, assisted by one companion, and while under severe fire at close range, saved a cannon from capture by the enemy.

Lieutenant Colonel Emory J. Pike (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 15, 1918, near Vandieres, France. His citation reads:

Having gone forward to reconnoiter new machinegun positions, Lt. Col. Pike offered his assistance in reorganizing advance infantry units which had become disorganized during a heavy artillery shelling. He succeeded in locating only about 20 men, but with these he advanced and when later joined by several infantry platoons rendered inestimable service in establishing outposts, encouraging all by his cheeriness, in spite of the extreme danger of the situation. When a shell had wounded one of the men in the outpost, Lt. Col. Pike immediately went to his aid and was severely wounded himself when another shell burst in the same place. While waiting to be brought to the rear, Lt. Col. Pike continued in command, still retaining his jovial manner of encouragement, directing the reorganization until the position could be held. The entire operation was carried on under terrific bombardment, and the example of courage and devotion to duty, as set by Lt. Col. Pike, established the highest standard of morale and confidence to all under his charge. The wounds he received were the cause of his death.


We’re sorry to hear of the passing of my brother-in-law Brent’s dad yesterday. We hope Brent, Teresa Lynn and the girls are able to remember the good times and that God gives them comfort with happy memories.

There’s not really a good way to transition here, so I’m just going to tell you that we’re going to take a look at Sonny’s Top 5 list today…

5   Perry Mason

4   The Andy Griffith Show

3   The Six Million Dollar Man

2   Knight Rider

1   Dukes of Hazzard

It’s hard to argue with those 5 shows…

The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


364   Eight Is Enough   1977-1981  

363   Thomas and Friends   1989-present  

362   Webster   1983-1989   This show is funny enough that it probably could have been ranked higher.

361   Falcon Crest   1981-1990  

360   Happy Endings   2011-present   This is another show The Wife and I started watching at the beginning (and found it very funny), but we just didn't have enough time to keep up with it.

359   Maude   1972-1978  

358   Dirty Jobs   2005-present   This will probably make you feel better about your job.

357   McCloud   1970-1977  

356   M.A.S.K   1985-1986   This is a great cartoon I grew up watching… I wish it had lasted longer.

355   Jem   1985-1988   The Wife loves this cartoon.

354   Better with You   2010-2011  

353   Dave's World   1993-1997   This is a show based on Dave Berry.

352   Bosom Buddies   1980-1982  

351   Renegade   1992-1997  

350   Modern Marvels   1995-present  

349   The Archie Show   1968-1969  

348   The Gong Show   1976-1989  

347   The Fall Guy   1981-1986  

346   The Magnificent Seven   1998-1999  

345   South Park   1997-present   I don't watch this show a lot… but I usually laugh a lot when I do watch it. Then I feel guilty for laughing. This isn't a kids cartoon.

344   Gilmore Girls   2000-2007  

343   Wipeout   2008-present   Who doesn't love watching and laughing at people failing at something.

342   Lonesome Dove: The Series   1994-1995  

341   Petticoat Junction   1963-1970  

340   My Favorite Martian   1963-1966   Not my favorite show.

No comments:

Post a Comment