Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, February 27, 2015

Congrats JI!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Sergeant John Shilling (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 21, 1864, at Weldon Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

First Sergeant John H. Shingle (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1876, at Rosebud River, Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Sergeant Robert F. Shipley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865, at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Captured the flag of the 9th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.) in hand-to-hand combat.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


The James Island Trojans basketball team is headed to the Lower State finals (tonight I believe). Before the season started, the Trojans were not expected to have this good of a season. Seasons like this are fun. Once you’re expected to win, the actual joy of winning is also mixed with relief. Sure, it’s still fun… but it’s different. The unexpected winning… that’s 100% pure joy. So congrats to the boys on the JI basketball team. I hope they are able to win a couple more games and bring a State Championship back to James Island.

So, I see that the Board of Trustees at SC State has placed the president on administrative leave. Here are some thoughts I have on that…

The president just got there a couple of years ago… The financial troubles of this school started LONG before that. If my memory is correct… The first thing this president did when he got there was find MORE problems than what the public knew about. I’m not sure this president is the right person to fix this problem, but I’m pretty dang sure he’s not the problem.

The school is in (big) financial trouble… so step #1 for the board is to pay the president of the school to NOT work.

I’m sure the politicians in Columbia talking about closing the school for a couple of years also didn’t help the financial troubles (two thoughts about this: Close the school for two years… you still have the debt, but now you’ve lost all income. Also, enrollment is a big/main source of income… so tell people you plan to close the school… that should help get the enrollment numbers up).

I’ve thought for some time that South Carolina has too many public colleges/universities. The state isn’t THAT big… there’s no need to spread the money out as much as we’re doing. So, I do believe there are colleges in this state that need to be closed (or merged with other colleges). I don’t know if SC State is one of those that needs to close… but they aren’t making it easy to keep the doors open. I think they need to find what it is they are great at, and focus on that. Being the public college for blacks isn’t really enough to get the job done these days. It was a great selling point back when Dad was in college… but that isn’t the case now. Personally, I would like to see the college succeed, because it does have a good bit of history (and I like history), but to do that they will need to change (i.e. recruit a more diverse student body). Of course, there might be other (better) ideas…

No comments:

Post a Comment