Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, April 30, 2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINDE AND SONNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Henry C. Warfel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 5, 1865, at Paines Crossroads, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of Virginia State colors.

Corporal Henry F. Warner (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 20-21, 1944, near Dom Butgenbach, Belgium. His citation reads:

Serving as 57-mm. antitank gunner with the 2d Battalion, he was a major factor in stopping enemy tanks during heavy attacks against the battalion position near Dom Butgenbach, Belgium, on 20-21 December 1944. In the first attack, launched in the early morning of the 20th, enemy tanks succeeded in penetrating parts of the line. Cpl. Warner, disregarding the concentrated cannon and machinegun fire from 2 tanks bearing down on him, and ignoring the imminent danger of being overrun by the infantry moving under tank cover, destroyed the first tank and scored a direct and deadly hit upon the second. A third tank approached to within 5 yards of his position while he was attempting to clear a jammed breach lock. Jumping from his gun pit, he engaged in a pistol duel with the tank commander standing in the turret, killing him and forcing the tank to withdraw. Following a day and night during which our forces were subjected to constant shelling, mortar barrages, and numerous unsuccessful infantry attacks, the enemy struck in great force on the early morning of the 21st. Seeing a Mark IV tank looming out of the mist and heading toward his position, Cpl. Warner scored a direct hit. Disregarding his injuries, he endeavored to finish the loading and again fire at the tank whose motor was now aflame, when a second machinegun burst killed him. Cpl. Warner's gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty contributed materially to the successful defense against the enemy attacks.

Coxswain David Warren (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 23-25, 1864, on board the USS Monticello. His citation reads:

Served as coxswain on board the U.S.S. Monticello during the reconnaissance of the harbor and water defenses of Wilmington, N.C., 23 to 25 June 1864. Taking part in a reconnaissance of enemy defenses which lasted 2 days and nights, Warren courageously carried out his duties during this action which resulted in the capture of a mail carrier and mail, the cutting of a telegraph wire, and the capture of a large group of prisoners. Although in immediate danger from the enemy, Warren showed gallantry and coolness throughout this action which resulted in the gaining of much vital information of the rebel defenses.


I’d like to wish my good friend Minde a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope Travis and the girls make it a great day!!!!!!!

I also hope my brother Sonny has a very happy just another day on the calendar! As you may know, Sonny doesn’t believe in birthdays. At his age, who can blame him? Still, I hope he has a good day.

There's been a good bit of talk recently about what public restrooms we should all be using.  Here are my thoughts... I don't think we need a law telling people which bathroom to use.  I know some people are convinced that without these laws, men will be raping women and children in restrooms all across the land.  It would seem that a rapist is willing to overlook laws against rape, but won't... nay, CAN'T look past the law that tells them not to enter the ladies room.  I'm going to be honest with you (because I always am)... I try my best not to use public restrooms.  They aren't usually the cleanest of places.  And, truth be told (because it always is here), during those times that I do find myself in a public restroom with other people, I've never taken the time to see what kind of equipment they have in the "private region".  For all I know, I've been using the bathroom with transgendered people for the last 20 years and never knew it.  "But Greg!", you shout, "What about your wife and kids?!"  I'm going to let you in on a little secret... The Wife is a badass whose past hobbies include shooting guns, boxing and kickboxing.  I'm the sweet one between the two of us.  Plus, most women's restrooms I've usually been around in public have long lines, so I'm not sure it will be a big deal.  As for my kids... my biggest fear will continue to be that they will walk in a public restroom, touch everything they see, and then not wash their hands.  They seldom use the bathroom (at home or in public) without us having to be with them.  Mary Ruth is able to go by herself, but even she is usually with someone when she uses the restroom in public.  So, I think we should all take a deep breath (especially if you are about to walk into the men's room), and just relax.  

No comments:

Post a Comment