Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 26, 2010

Interesting thoughts on DNA

My friend KC posted something today regarding the difference in DNA between Moms and Dads. Let me shout "AMEN!". It's not that I don't love my girls. I enjoy spending time with them. I don't even mind keeping them by myself... for a short period of time. Anything over a couple of hours, though, and I start to get worried. Lucky for me I have Lucy to help me. Sure, she's a dog... but she is a FEMALE dog, which means we're pretty much on the same level when it comes to childcare if you ask me.

I can remember back when I was growing up my Mom would go to Montreat for a week each summer leaving me and Dad at home (not sure if Sonny and Doubting Teri were also home... but if they were they were old enough to take care of themselves... so really Dad just had to worry about me). The week consisted of eating out every night (usually pizza) and falling asleep in the den at some late hour while watching TV. Oh, and clothes, pizza boxes, cups, etc. would be all over the place. The day Mom was to get back, we'd clean up everything so that the place looked spotless... and then about 1 hour before her return, we'd mess the place up just a little bit (to make her feel needed... and to make sure she didn't know we could clean up that well).

Dad wasn't away much, but when he was it was life as usual. Mom would cook (no eating out), I had to pick up after myself (no messy house) and I had to be in bed at a decent hour (no falling asleep in the den watching TV).

Even now when The Wife is away over night, I find myself up at 2:00 AM watching NCIS and House re-runs for the 20th time... stuff that I have on DVD. It’s like I need her there to tell me it’s time to go to bed.

I think he’s on to something with this whole DNA thing.

Before we get to the Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients part of the blog, let me send a big Thank You out to my good friend Ross. He gave my blog a shout-out in his sermon this past Sunday and used my family as an example in his sermon (I’m not 100% sure if it was a good example or a bad one... I hope it was a good one... but knowing me like I do, it could have been a bad one). I think other preachers could learn something from Ross. :)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Lewis Albanese (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 1, 1966 in Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Pfc. Albanese's platoon, while advancing through densely covered terrain to establish a blocking position, received intense automatic weapons fire from close range. As other members maneuvered to assault the enemy position, Pfc. Albanese was ordered to provide security for the left flank of the platoon. Suddenly, the left flank received fire from enemy located in a well-concealed ditch. Realizing the imminent danger to his comrades from this fire, Pfc. Albanese fixed his bayonet and moved aggressively into the ditch. His action silenced the sniper fire, enabling the platoon to resume movement toward the main enemy position. As the platoon continued to advance, the sound of heavy firing emanated from the left flank from a pitched battle that ensued in the ditch which Pfc. Albanese had entered. The ditch was actually a well-organized complex of enemy defenses designed to bring devastating flanking fire on the forces attacking the main position. Pfc. Albanese, disregarding the danger to himself, advanced 100 meters along the trench and killed 6 of the snipers, who were armed with automatic weapons. Having exhausted his ammunition, Pfc. Albanese was mortally wounded when he engaged and killed 2 more enemy soldiers in fierce hand-to-hand combat. His unparalleled actions saved the lives of many members of his platoon who otherwise would have fallen to the sniper fire from the ditch, and enabled his platoon to successfully advance against an enemy force of overwhelming numerical superiority. Pfc. Albanese's extraordinary heroism and supreme dedication to his comrades were commensurate with the finest traditions of the military service and remain a tribute to himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

First Lieutenant George E. Albee (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 28, 1869 in Texas. His citation reads:

Attacked with 2 men a force of 11 Indians, drove them from the hills, and reconnoitered the country beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment