Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, January 14, 2011

Congrats Clemson!

Rest easy, Clemson fans, things are about to get better for your football program. I had so much to talk to you about yesterday that I completely forgot the great news that Clemson hired former James Island 3-sport athlete and I’m just sayin… endorsed football coach Tony Elliott. Tony is a former Clemson walk-on who worked hard and eventually earned a scholarship. His teammates his senior season voted unanimously to make him a Captain of the team. Perhaps most importantly, Tony made the I’m just sayin… All-Time (since 1977) Clemson Football Team. His previous coaching stops have been at SC State and Furman. This is a good move for Clemson for all the reasons I’ve listed on this blog before. Tony is a great guy and I know he will do a great job at Clemson.

Winthrop Update: Winthrop lost a hard fought battle to Coastal last night. The Eagles take on Charleston Southern Saturday at 4:30pm. I plan on being there.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Melvin E. Biddle (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 23-24, 1944 near Soy, Belgium. His citation reads:

He displayed conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy near Soy, Belgium, on 23 and 24 December 1944. Serving as lead scout during an attack to relieve the enemy-encircled town of Hotton, he aggressively penetrated a densely wooded area, advanced 400 yards until he came within range of intense enemy rifle fire, and within 20 yards of enemy positions killed 3 snipers with unerring marksmanship. Courageously continuing his advance an additional 200 yards, he discovered a hostile machinegun position and dispatched its 2 occupants. He then located the approximate position of a well-concealed enemy machinegun nest, and crawling forward threw hand grenades which killed two Germans and fatally wounded a third. After signaling his company to advance, he entered a determined line of enemy defense, coolly and deliberately shifted his position, and shot 3 more enemy soldiers. Undaunted by enemy fire, he crawled within 20 yards of a machinegun nest, tossed his last hand grenade into the position, and after the explosion charged the emplacement firing his rifle. When night fell, he scouted enemy positions alone for several hours and returned with valuable information which enabled our attacking infantry and armor to knock out 2 enemy tanks. At daybreak he again led the advance and, when flanking elements were pinned down by enemy fire, without hesitation made his way toward a hostile machinegun position and from a distance of 50 yards killed the crew and 2 supporting riflemen. The remainder of the enemy, finding themselves without automatic weapon support, fled panic stricken. Pfc. Biddle's intrepid courage and superb daring during his 20-hour action enabled his battalion to break the enemy grasp on Hotton with a minimum of casualties.

Private Charles Bieger (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 22, 1864 at Ivy Farm, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Voluntarily risked his life by taking a horse, under heavy fire, beyond the line of battle for the rescue of his captain, whose horse had been killed in a charge and who was surrounded by the enemy's skirmishers.

Captain George W. Biegler (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 21, 1900 near Loac, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

With but 19 men resisted and at close quarters defeated 300 of the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment