Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 8, 2013

Let the games begin!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal John Morris (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 25, 1881, on board the U.S. Flagship Lancaster. His citation reads:

For leaping overboard from the U.S. Flagship Lancaster, at Villefranche, France, 25 December 1881, and rescuing from drowning Robert Blizzard, ordinary seaman, a prisoner, who had jumped overboard.

Sergeant William Morris (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865, at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 40th Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Corporal William W. Morris (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 9-11, 1874, at Upper Washita, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in engagement with Indians.


I just wanted to touch on a couple of things today…

First… College Basketball is back and I know at least two people (me and Jeremy) who are happy about this! I’m excited to see the Winthrop Eagles reclaim their rightful spot at the top of the Big South Conference.

I know this will come as news to a lot of you, but the NBA season is underway. You might remember that I have pulled for the past 4 NBA Champions (Boston Celtics – 2008, Dallas Mavericks – 2011, Miami Heat – 2012 and 2013… The 2009 and 2010 seasons are dead to me because I didn’t follow a team those years and if I did it was in name only, I didn’t really care). Anyway, this year I will be cheering on the Brooklyn Nets as they win it all. There are a number of reasons I have decided to follow Brooklyn, but the biggest is that Jeremy said he thought I’d like them and I assume he put more thought into it than I did. Plus when he told me why he thought I’d like them, I had to agree with him. So, Brooklyn, time to get sized for those championship rings! This is your our season!

Mary Ruth brought home a form from school for us to sign giving her permission to get the flu shot at school (if she’d known what it was for, she probably wouldn’t have shown it to us). The Wife is mad (and rightly so, I might add), because on the form it says that if you don’t have insurance then the shot is free. However, if you do have insurance and for some reason the shot isn’t covered, then you may be charged a fee. Guess who doesn’t have insurance now… (Haha… just kidding ladies and gentlemen at the NSA reading this. No need to rat us out to The President).

Speaking of The President and health care… You know I don’t usually get involved with political stuff because I have enough stuff to complain about. However, I’m starting to look forward to the next person to take the office (whoever that might be). Listen, I didn’t vote for President Obama, but I do feel I have supported his administration a good bit over the years (and by “supported”, I mean I don’t complain about him all the time or call him the devil… but I didn’t vote for him, so I guess I’m using “supported” in the absolute loosest way possible). I’m starting to get tired of him now, though. I don’t mind someone thinking they are smarter than me (most people probably are)… What I do mind is someone thinking they are smarter than me AND thinking I’m stupid (I’m not). So, it seems President Obama has recently said, “What we said was you could keep it if it hasn’t changed since the law was passed,” But…. If you look at the video here you will see that… well… that’s not exactly what was said. Still, I’m not so mad at him for telling the lie over and over (I almost expect politicians to lie)… I’m more mad at how many of my fellow Americans actually believed all of these great changes could take place without anyone really having to foot the bill. But I’m getting off track a little. If you look at the link posted above, you will find this little nugget: “If we had allowed these old plans [to continue]… then we would have broken an even more important promise — making sure that Americans gain access to health care that doesn’t leave them one illness away from financial ruin,” he announced. So, it seems all of this was to make sure “Americans gain access to health care that…”. Well, I’m all for making sure Americans gain access to great health care, but what has happened is that Americans are now forced to have better health care (at a higher cost, most likely). Here’s the thing… There are better cars and houses out there that would probably be better for me and my family, but we don’t have them because we can’t afford them. I would not want to be forced to buy them.

I get up at 4:21 every (weekday) morning to catch the bus downtown to work so that I can make what I make. The Wife drives all over the Charleston metro area doing a dang good job helping people (and making what she makes). Most of our money is already spoken for (home, gas… even with me riding the bus, clothes for these freakin’ kids who keep growing EVERYDAY, food, childcare and so on and so forth). I would love to have the “best” health plan. However, having said plan would mean getting rid of the house and possibly two of the children. That’s why I (and probably most Americans) would like the option to have “cheaper” health care. Having said that, I get to keep my health care so we got lucky… but a lot of people out there didn’t get lucky. And the reasons aren’t adding up for me.


Flashback Friday

I tried to look uglier than Sonny in this picture... I failed.

Da... overflowing with gifts

Stockings hanging for... Dad, Mom, Sonny, Cougar, Brent, Teresa Lynn, Me, Dach and Pepper

Aunt Yvonne, Granny and Mom

Front to back... Jason, me, Granny, Mom, MaMa, Da, Uncle Keith and Aunt JoJo

Da and Sonny

Scott... looking for money that MaMa and Da hid from us (the tradition was they would hide $20 for each of us and we would have to find it)

Me


No comments:

Post a Comment