Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday Pictures…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Corporal William D. Morgan (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 25, 1969, at Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a squad leader with Company H, in operations against the enemy. While participating in Operation DEWEY CANYON southeast of Vandergrift Combat Base, 1 of the squads of Cpl. Morgan's platoon was temporarily pinned down and sustained several casualties while attacking a North Vietnamese Army force occupying a heavily fortified bunker complex. Observing that 2 of the wounded marines had fallen in a position dangerously exposed to the enemy fire and that all attempts to evacuate them were halted by a heavy volume of automatic weapons fire and rocket-propelled grenades. Cpl. Morgan unhesitatingly maneuvered through the dense jungle undergrowth to a road that passed in front of a hostile emplacement which was the principal source of enemy fire. Fully aware of the possible consequences of his valiant action, but thinking only of the welfare of his injured companions, Cpl. Morgan shouted words of encouragement to them as he initiated an aggressive assault against the hostile bunker. While charging across the open road, he was clearly visible to the hostile soldiers who turned their fire in his direction and mortally wounded him, but his diversionary tactic enabled the remainder of his squad to retrieve their casualties and overrun the North Vietnamese Army position. His heroic and determined actions saved the lives of 2 fellow marines and were instrumental in the subsequent defeat of the enemy. Cpl. Morgan's indomitable courage, inspiring initiative and selfless devotion to duty upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the U.S. Naval Services. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Sergeant John Moriarity (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during 1868 and 1869, in Arizona. His citation reads:

Bravery in scouts and actions against Indians.

Boatswain’s Mate Second Class William H. Morin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 26-27, 1898, on board the USS Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead at the approaches to Caimanera, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 26 and 27 July 1898. Displaying heroism, Morin took part in the perilous work of sweeping for and disabling 27 contact mines during this period.


So… Did you hear the news that the NSA is spying on the leaders of other countries? I, for one, am shocked (SHOCKED!) that such work is going on in a part of the government that is filled with professional spies. Of course, I admit my early views of intelligence gathering by this country were shaped by that classic documentary Spies Like Us, so I guess that’s my excuse. But really, are people really that surprised that the government is in the spy business? I’m not. I also don’t think it’s a bad thing. I look at it like stealing signs in baseball. Everyone is doing it, some just do it better than others. And if you don’t assume everyone else is doing it, then just know they know everything about you. Do you know all of the things the US government does to keep other countries from spying on government officials in Washington, DC? Ok, I don’t either, but I hope they do a lot because I’d be willing to bet that the various embassies there are filled with spies.

After the news broke about spying, I kept waiting for the news to break about underage drinking on college campuses around the country.


Picture Tuesday

Some of these are a couple of months old, but I'm just getting around to posting them.  This is the view from one of the condos I cleaned this summer.

Daniel "sick" at the doctors office

3 crazy kids



We probably have too many pictures of Daniel in a medical setting...


No comments:

Post a Comment