Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, January 1, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quartermaster John H. Nibbe (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 22, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Peterel. His citation reads:

Served as quartermaster on board the U.S.S. Peterel during its capture in Yazoo River, 22 April 1864. Standing his ground when a shot came through the stern, raking the gundeck and entering and exploding the boilers, when all the others had deserted the flag, Nibbe assisted in getting the wounded off the guard and proceeded to get ready to fire the ship despite the escaping steam from the boilers at which time he was surrounded on all sides by the rebels and forced to surrender.

Captain Henry C. Nichols (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 9, 1865, at Fort Blakely, Alabama. His citation reads:

Voluntarily made a reconnaissance in advance of the line held by his regiment and, under a heavy fire, obtained information of great value.

Quartermaster William Nichols (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the ram Tennessee, in Mobile Bay, on 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks from stem to stern, Nichols fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious battle which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee, and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.


Where did 2013 go?! My hope for 2014 is that we not visit the doctor/hospital as much as we did in 2013. If 2013 was a “down” year for you, I hope 2014 is better. If 2013 was a good year for you… I hope 2014 is better.

This year we are going to change up the I’m just sayin… schedule a little bit. In 2014, we will have Picture Thursday and the Gospel Verse of the Week (on Sunday). We will, of course, continue to also recognize other important dates (unlike my brother, we like to celebrate good times). Don’t forget, this May we will be counting down the Top (not sure how many yet) TV Shows of All-Time. The staff has been hard at work on this, so we hope you will like it. But for now, let me just say… Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment