Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, January 9, 2014

Not as cold… but still cold

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Lance Corporal Thomas P. Noonan, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 5, 1969, near Vandergrift Combat Base, A Shau Valley, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a fire team leader with Company G, in operations against the enemy in Quang Tri Province. Company G was directed to move from a position which they had been holding southeast of the Vandergrift Combat Base to an alternate location. As the marines commenced a slow and difficult descent down the side of the hill made extremely slippery by the heavy rains, the leading element came under a heavy fire from a North Vietnamese Army unit occupying well concealed positions in the rocky terrain. Four men were wounded, and repeated attempts to recover them failed because of the intense hostile fire. L/Cpl. Noonan moved from his position of relative security and, maneuvering down the treacherous slope to a location near the injured men, took cover behind some rocks. Shouting words of encouragement to the wounded men to restore their confidence, he dashed across the hazardous terrain and commenced dragging the most seriously wounded man away from the fire-swept area. Although wounded and knocked to the ground by an enemy round, L/Cpl. Noonan recovered rapidly and resumed dragging the man toward the marginal security of a rock. He was, however, mortally wounded before he could reach his destination. His heroic actions inspired his fellow marines to such aggressiveness that they initiated a spirited assault which forced the enemy soldiers to withdraw. L/Cpl. Noonan's indomitable courage, inspiring initiative, and selfless devotion to duty upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Ordinary Seaman Charles Luers Nordsiek (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21-22, 1914, on board the U.S.S. Florida. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Florida, Nordsiek showed extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the seizure of Vera Cruz, Mexico, 21 and 22 April 1914.

Chief Boatswain Isidor Nordstrom (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 13, 1906, on board the U.S.S. Kearsage. His citation reads:

For gallant conduct upon the occasion of the disastrous fire of accidentally ignited powder charges, which occurred in the forward turret of the U.S.S. Kearsage during target practice on 13 April 1906. Chief Boatswain Nordstrom, then chief boatswain's mate, was among the first to enter the turret in order to assist in bringing out the injured.


So, schools in my area were delayed 3 hours this past Tuesday because of the cold weather. I have not been told a good reason why. I have been told some reasons, but none of them really add up for me. First, the delay was for the poor kids with no gloves/hats. The temp at the normal start time was 19 degrees, we don’t want those kids to freeze! Fine… but what makes anyone think those same kids would be fine when it’s 23 degrees (like it was at the later start time). To me, once it’s under 30 I can’t really tell a difference. I’m not saying there isn’t a difference, I’m just saying I shake and go numb so fast that I can’t tell a difference. 40 to 30 I can tell (though both are still cold)… but if a kid is going to freeze at 19, he (or she) will freeze at 23. So if that is what we are worried about, close school for the day.

I also heard someone say that the school buses take longer to get going in this cold weather and that’s why there’s a delay… How about get there earlier to start them and have them ready for their regular time? And back to the poor kids at the bus with no gloves and/or hats… What about the kids with no heat at home who need to go to school to get warm and eat breakfast? They should open school early to help those kids, not late.

By the way… If you are a teacher on Facebook let me say you will get no sympathy from me when school starts after winter break or summer. I have noticed that teachers complain more on Facebook about having to go to work than any other profession (at least when it comes to my friends). Of course, not all teachers do this. And I realize some who do aren’t really complaining… they’re just saying. But still, it’s bad when a state worker sees this stuff and thinks “What the hell are you complaining about… I’ve got to go to work way more than you”. Honestly, I don’t complain about going to work because I like what I do. I’ve had jobs that I didn’t like what I was doing (I don’t mean I just didn’t like it, I mean I was physically ill each morning before work)… I left them. And please, don’t tell me about how you don’t get paid for that time off in the summer… you still make as much (or more) than people out there who have to do crappier jobs (some of which literally involve crap). And really, does anyone go into teaching thinking “Here come the big bucks!”? You know what you signed up for. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that teaching is easy or that teachers should have nothing to complain about. I’m just saying people on Facebook don’t want to see the complaining all the time (especially when it comes to having to go to work). Thank you, and good day.


While I am not (surprisingly) a member of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, I will share with you the 2014 Hall of Fame ballot I tried (unsuccessfully) to submit. The players I voted for were:

Greg Maddux – I won’t comment on each person… But I would like to state that, without a doubt, Maddux is the greatest pitcher I ever saw pitch. I am not using any numbers or facts or anything like that to back me up… I’m just saying that I saw him make a baseball do things that I didn’t think possible (and judging by the faces of a lot of batters he faced, they didn’t think it possible either). I can’t tell you how many times I yelled after a pitch, “Wow! Did you just see that?!” I don’t think everyone has to agree with me on him being the greatest I’ve seen… but for anyone to think he is not worthy of the Hall of Fame is a joke and they should have their voting rights taken away.

Tom Glavine

Craig Biggio

Frank Thomas

Lee Smith

Mike Piazza

Don Mattingly

Jack Morris


The “real” voters elected Maddux, Glavine and Thomas. The Veterans Committee (I’m also, sadly, not a member of this group either) elected 3 managers – Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre and Bobby Cox. Hard to argue with those choices.


Picture Thursday

Maverick - with the alligator Aunt Yvonne (unknowingly) gave him for his birthday.  He loves it... just look at his face

Mary Ruth and Susie

Daniel

Daniel, Susie and Mary Ruth - I don't care what The Wife says, these are great kids

Another Daniel pic

Me and my big boy taking a break from singing... well, he was still singing a little...


No comments:

Post a Comment