Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Until we meet again, my dear sweet friend

MaMa has died and I am sad. There is a chance by the end of this post, I won’t be as sad... but right now, I am sad. For those of you new to this blog, MaMa is my grandmother on my Dad’s side of the family... and she was my best friend. Don’t misunderstand me, I’ve got the best friends in the world and I’ve got the best family in the world... so to say she was my best friend is not a slight to anyone else as much as it is a credit to how close we were. (For any of you thinking about The Wife, I would like to point out that when we married we became one so to be best friends with her would be like being best friends with myself and that’s just weird). I can’t say this death took my by surprise. Let’s face it, she was 95 and hadn’t been in the greatest of health lately but it’s still hard to lose someone you love so much. But why focus on the bad? She lived a good life. She lived a long life. Honestly, it was longer than she wanted (but not as long as I wanted... so I guess we can call it even). Like my friend Meg, MaMa was part of the Greatest Generation. She lived through the Great Depression (fyi, she told me it wasn’t all that great) and WWII. She had a son serve in Vietnam (hardest time of her life, I was told). She had two sons but she always told people she had 3 (with my grandfather being the third). If my math is right, I believe she was 9 years younger than my grandfather. There was a time when I thought that was a pretty wide gap (at least until September 10, 2005... then I realized 9 years isn’t that much of an age difference after all).

She was my protector when I was growing up. I always knew she would take my side... but that doesn’t mean she would let me get away with everything. There were times she would scold me. But there was a huge difference between MaMa scolding me and Mom and/or Dad scolding me. Out of all her grandchildren, I’ve always considered myself the luckiest because (I’m pretty sure) I got to spend more time with MaMa than any of the others. I would drive her up to her hometown of Branchville so we could visit her brothers. She loved Branchville and always told me how my grandfather had promised that they could move there after the war was over. He told her this back in 1943 when they bought a house… the house she died in this past Sunday.

I’m going to be posting more about her in the coming days. I was given a chance to speak at the funeral (something I will be forever grateful for). Tomorrow, I plan to post my notes from my talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment