Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 1, 2010

Women Pastors, USC, Harry Potter, Game Change

As you know, the brain trust here at I’m just sayin... likes, from time to time, to tackle the important issues facing all of us. Yesterday, I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Courtyard, which is written by my good friend and long time I’m just sayin... follower Jenn Williams. I could say many funny things about the first part of her post, but I think I will save that for another time. For now, I’d like to focus on an issue that she referenced from another blog (written by Carlos Whitaker... who I don’t know. I did grow up with a Riley Whitaker who, like most girls I grew up with, I assume had a crush on me... but I don’t think they’re related). Anyway, the topic being discussed is women as preachers. At least I think that’s what is being discussed. At one point there is some talk about preachers vs. pastors and all kinds of other stuff I know nothing about. There was one person (maybe more, but one that stood out) who took the position that women should not be preachers. At least, I thought that’s what his position was... but I think he later said women could have any role in the church except pastor (which I guess out ranks preacher?). If I’m reading him right (and I think I am) he’s saying women can have any role except one as head of the church (that’s just for men). Of course, I’ve always believed Jesus to be the head of the church, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

As many of you know, I grew up in a Southern Baptist church (you can tell because when it comes time to look up something in The Bible I’m the first one to find it). There are many things I think the Southern Baptist get right (baptism being one, but I guess that’s to be expected... I mean, it’s in their name) and there are other things I don’t really agree with them on (this issue being one). Now, I don’t claim to know all the answers on this one. I think I’m right about it, but if one day I die and God says to me, “Boy you sure were wrong about THAT,” I’ll just have to shrug and say “oops”. I really have more questions than answers when it comes to this... so if you have the answers, feel free to share.

Let us begin, if you will, with my questions (going back to my youth). I don’t remember every Sunday School teacher I had, but I’m 99% sure I didn’t have a male Sunday School teacher until I was in the 7th grade. 7th – 12th grade, we had male and female teachers lead us in a big group and then sometimes we’d break off with female teachers teaching the girls and male teachers teaching the boys (but we didn’t always separate, I don’t think). Anyway, the Youth Director while I was there was a women (she still is, I assume). I would guess that women were allowed to teach me at that point in my life because the church had decided that God (through The Bible) had said it was ok. So, if it was ok then, why not now? If it was ok in a small setting (i.e. Sunday School) why not in a larger one (Worship Service)? Why (in the eyes of some) are women good enough to teach me as a child but not as a grown man? Did God love me less back then? I don't think so (after all, the song says "Jesus loves the little children", not "Jesus loves the big men"). I guess part of my problem with this issue is that most arguments I’ve seen against women being the head pastor of a church is that the people making the argument don’t seem to have a problem with women leading children or other women. Some don’t even seem to mind women preaching from time to time (or being “guest speakers”) or being missionaries. So I guess my question is if it’s ok for women to do all of those things, why shouldn’t they be allowed to be the head pastor of a church? Of course, I’m not saying all women should be head pastors (that’s just as dumb as saying all men should be head pastors). But I wouldn’t eliminate someone just because they are a woman. As long as they are letting the Holy Spirit work through them, I don’t have a problem (same goes for when a man is in that role). Feel free to post a comment if you don’t agree with me on this (but make it an intelligent post or don’t bother).

I still think there are some things men just do better than women (like drinking beer, watching sports...).

Congrats to the South Carolina Gamecocks on beating UCLA to win their first Baseball National Championship. I assume church attendance and tithing will both rise in this state (at least for the month of July) after what the Gamecocks were able to do out in Omaha.

Have you seen the new Harry Potter trailer? I can’t wait for this movie to come out (November of this year, I think). Too bad I’ll have to wait until July of next year to see the second half of the movie. Honestly, I think they could release both parts of the movie (as separate movies, if they wanted) right now and they’d sell just as many tickets as they are going to by releasing one part in November and the second part in July 2011.

I am now reading the book Game Change, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. I would have to say it’s a pretty interesting book so far (I’m about ¼ of the way through it).

No comments:

Post a Comment