Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, October 21, 2010

Disney on Ice

We’re going to see Disney On Ice: Princess Wishes tonight at the North Charleston Coliseum. I really hope Mary Ruth has a great time. We’ve got front row seats... so I REALLY hope she has a great time.

There is a boy (pre-teen... early teens) in Summerville who is lucky to be alive right now. Last Saturday (when we were leaving MR’s soccer game) I almost hit some punk on a bike in the parking lot. He came out of nowhere and was lucky I was able to stop before I hit him. Of course, we were in a parking lot so the worst that would have happened is I would have knocked him off his bike... I doubt that would have killed him. But The Wife had her window down and as he went by he looked at her and said, “F*** you”. I didn’t hear him... and The Wife grabbed my arm before she told me what he said. That was a lucky day for that boy... because when I was told what he said my first reaction was to get out of the car and run him down and then beat him for making me run after him. I know what you’re thinking... “Greg, look at you... there’s no way you could run down a kid on a bike”. You should know two things... 1. I was mad. I mean MAD. And b. We were in a dirt parking lot, so he wasn’t able to go as fast as he would have been going on a road. Had The Wife not grabbed my arm before telling me what he said, I’m pretty sure I would have gotten out of the car and run him down. It’s kind of like how the Toby Keith song goes... “I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”. Well, I’m not as fast as I once was, but I’m as fast once as I ever was. And last Saturday, I would have been fast enough to catch that punk.

I’ve got to admit, I’m pretty excited about the Memory Walk this year. I’ve been fortunate enough to raise a lot more money than I thought I’d be able to (and I’ve still got money coming it). If you haven’t given yet, you can do so here. Either Saturday or early next week, I plan on posting the total raised. I can’t wait.

We at I’m just sayin... were sad to hear that Tom Bosley passed away this past Tuesday. You may remember him as Mr. Howard Cunningham from Happy Days. I also remember him as Sheriff Amos Tupper from Murder, She Wrote (a great show I remember watching with MaMa and Da). He had a great career and was in other stuff, but those are the two rules I remember him best for.

While I’m thinking about it, Happy Days has to be one of the best TV shows ever. I’ve seen every episode and loved them all. And really, who didn’t love “The Fonz”?

While I’m still thinking about it... has there been a person in Hollywood who has had a more successful life than Ron Howard? I don’t think so. Just look at his career:
He was a star as a child on The Andy Griffith Show. As a teen he was a star on Happy Days and a star in the classic movie American Graffiti. He also had a guest-star appearance on another GREAT TV series, M*A*S*H. From acting he went to directing and boy he’s done a great job with that. He’s directed such movies as: Night Shift, Splash, Cocoon, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, & Angels & Demons. If anyone deserved a “Lifetime Achievement Award”, it’s Ron Howard.

Make sure you check back tomorrow to see my football predictions.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quarter Gunner Charles Baker (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 in Mobile Bay. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Metacomet. As a member of the boat's crew which went to the rescue of the U.S. monitor Tecumseh when that vessel was struck by a torpedo in passing the enemy forts in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864, Q.G. Baker braved the enemy fire which was said by the admiral to be "one of the most galling" he had ever seen, and aided in rescuing from death 10 of the crew of the Tecumseh, eliciting the admiration of both friend and foe.

Sergeant Major Edward L. Baker, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at Santiago, Cuba. His citation reads:

Left cover and, under fire, rescued a wounded comrade from drowning.

Musician John Baker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from October 1876 – January 1877 at Cedar Creek, Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantry in engagements.

No comments:

Post a Comment