Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A look at me... by me

I know most of you look at The Wife and think “God, she’s so lucky” or something along those lines. Ok, maybe most of you don’t do that... but I’m sure at least one of you has thought something like that in a moment of weakness. Anyway, it’s true that living with me has its benefits... but it isn’t always fun and games. I have some quirks that some of you may or may not have noticed... but she has noticed them. Oh... believe me... she has noticed them. For the most part, she is able to ignore or laugh them off. And it’s not that I don’t know I’m doing this stuff... it’s just I can’t help it. Even if I’m able to keep from saying it... I still think it. So let us begin... (***Note... I don’t think some of these are uncommon... at least among men.***).

I’ve told you about this one before, but I can’t say Alabama with out saying it like Keith Jackson.

I can’t go to the Y without singing (at least in my head) the song YMCA.

I quote movies. All the time. (I think this is a guy thing)

While watching a movie, I’ll repeat a funny part right after it happens (I try not to do this when watching a movie with friends. Also, this is something Mary Ruth does now).

I will also, from time to time while watching a great movie, say a line right before it happens.

I can’t go to the Aquarium without singing “This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarium” to the tune of the 5th Dimension song “Aquarius”.

I can’t say “Practice” without going into “Allen Iverson” mode and saying “practice?!” over and over.

I also can’t say “Playoffs” without going into “Jim Mora” mode and saying “playoffs?!” over and over.

I sing around the house. Sometimes with Maverick, sometimes alone. Sometimes I sing “religious” songs (Old Rugged Cross, In The Garden, Livin On A Prayer...), sometimes I sing classic songs (Margaritaville, Devil Went Down To Georgia, You Never Even Called Me By My Name, My Way, Me and My Shadow...), and sometimes I just make up a song or sing bits and pieces of various songs. (Mary Ruth also does this).

When I hear someone say “What?” a lot or say it in a whiny way, I go into “Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction” mode and yell “Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother******, say what one more G**d*** time!”

The Wife can’t say DHEC around me without me asking, “What dee heck?”

I can’t watch an episode of MacGyver without pointing out that Henry Winkler was an executive producer for the show.

So there you have it. I’m sure there are more that I’m not thinking of right now. Maybe I’ll list them later (if I remember them).

In other news, the current I’m just sayin... favorite songs are Southern State of Mind by Darius Rucker and I Don’t Care by Darius Rucker and Brad Paisley.

Not sure if you noticed, but Medal of Honor Recipient First Lieutenant Frank D. Baldwin (who was listed at the end of my post yesterday) was the first of 19 Double Recipients we will meet as we get to know these brave men. By first, I mean his name came first... I don’t know time wise who was first. I could look it up, but so could you.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Hospital Corpsman Second Class Donald E. Ballard (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 16, 1968 at Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty while serving as a HC2c. with Company M, in connection with operations against enemy aggressor forces. During the afternoon hours, Company M was moving to join the remainder of the 3d Battalion in Quang Tri Province. After treating and evacuating 2 heat casualties, HC2c. Ballard was returning to his platoon from the evacuation landing zone when the company was ambushed by a North Vietnamese Army unit employing automatic weapons and mortars, and sustained numerous casualties. Observing a wounded marine, HC2c. Ballard unhesitatingly moved across the fire swept terrain to the injured man and swiftly rendered medical assistance to his comrade. HC2c. Ballard then directed 4 marines to carry the casualty to a position of relative safety. As the 4 men prepared to move the wounded marine, an enemy soldier suddenly left his concealed position and, after hurling a hand grenade which landed near the casualty, commenced firing upon the small group of men. Instantly shouting a warning to the marines, HC2c. Ballard fearlessly threw himself upon the lethal explosive device to protect his comrades from the deadly blast. When the grenade failed to detonate, he calmly arose from his dangerous position and resolutely continued his determined efforts in treating other marine casualties. HC2c. Ballard's heroic actions and selfless concern for the welfare of his companions served to inspire all who observed him and prevented possible injury or death to his fellow marines. His courage, daring initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of extreme personal danger, sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Private Frederick Ballen (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 3, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Was one of a party that volunteered and attempted to run the enemy's batteries with a steam tug and 2 barges loaded with subsistence stores.

Private Neil Bancroft (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 25, 1876 at Little Big Horn, Montana. His citation reads:

Brought water for the wounded under a most galling fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment